Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

I have a Briggs & Stratton Model #185432 engine on a 5000w.

I have a Briggs & Stratton Model #185432 engine on a 5000w. portable generator. Engine just lost compression while running. I removed valve cover and both valves are working. I see that the exhaust valve opens just partially right after intake valve fully opens. Is this a type of compression release to help in starting engine? If so, could it have stuck so that engine will not run?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

Yes this is a compression release to help start the engine. It is very uncommon for it to stick You can check each valve by turning it until it is fully closed and making sure it seats, and the rocker arm is slightly loose

Here is a list of valve clearences for Briggs Engines