Ask Outdoor Power Equipment Guru Your Own...

Outdoor Power Equipment Guru
Outdoor Power Equipment Guru, Technician
Experience:  I have worked twenty years as a Mechanic and am a State of Michigan Certified teacher in Small Engine and related equipment.
55638532

Craftsman GT 5000 not charging

Craftsman GT 5000 not charging
It discharger when the mower deck is turned on. 
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Outdoor Power Equipment Guru replied 2 years ago.

Outdoor Power Equipment G : Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you with this issue.
Outdoor Power Equipment G : what engine is in this unit?
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Make and model of the engine will tell me how to.proceed thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has the Kohler CV 25 engine the V twin
Okay did you test the output voltage of the alternator? It should be making about 28 volts AC on the two outside terminals of the regulator. If it isn't then it may be the alternator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do i check the Alternator output voltage?
Is what they call an alternator what we used to call a stator?
Yes the term stator and alternator are used interchangeably. Start the unit and unplug the three wire lead off of the regulator rectifier then check the AC voltage on the two outside wires at full throttle. It should be approx 28 volts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have 40 volts at full throtle
Okay that is probably okay for that unit next is to check the DC voltage at the center terminal with the harness Connected. Put the probe into the backside of the connector and see what it is. Of there is between 14 and 18 volts DC then it is working correctly and we will have to follow the circuit and see why that voltage is not charging the battery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
12.5 Volts
That is too low to charge the system. Was it at full throttle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it was... i just replaced the regulator?????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It should at least maintain shouldn't it?
It also bothers me that the needle drops to -5 when the deck clutch is engauged
No that voltage needs to be 14 to 16 to work properly. Either the new regulator is bad or the voltage from the alternator fried the new.regulator. I don't have a.manual in.front of me but I think.forty is too high. Two things we can do, I can look Monday and see for sure or you could call a dealer and see what the AC output should be. If it is too high you will have.to.replace.the.stator and probably the regulator again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you could check into it monday I'd appreciate it.
Will do I just didn't want to keep you waiting. If you don't hear from me by mid morning remind me please.
Experience: I have worked twenty years as a Mechanic and am a State of Michigan Certified teacher in Small Engine and related equipment.

Okay I double checked and forty is okay for the AC however there are several issues with the grounding of the regulator on that engine. When the ground is dirty or insufficient to the body of the regulator itself it will not make sufficient voltage (as you have) one fix is to run a separate ground wire from the mount bolt to a good ground and see if it come up. The DC should be 14.5 volts at full throttle and maintain the battery there. So to recap, AC voltage good, need to double check ground, if all that is good you may have a bad regulator (it happens).

Kevin

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you kevin

Let me know if you need more.

Kevin

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just thought i would let you know that the ground wire worked !!!!

Nice! Now it wont haunt you anymore, and thanks for letting me know!

Kevin