Trianglesmallengines
Trianglesmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  I own/operate a Small Engine shop in RDU area
53402219

I have a snapper tiller with a 8 hp briggs and stratton. I

I have a snapper tiller with a 8 hp briggs and stratton. I took the carb off and cleaned the jets. put it back on and the engine revs up and down will not hold constant rpm
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Trianglesmallengines replied 2 years ago.

Trianglesmallengines :

Hi if you give me your model number I can assist you.

Trianglesmallengines :

You can find it on a plate on the engine itself or stamped on the valve cover

Customer:

The Tiller is a Snapper RT 8 ( very old but has run good until now)

Trianglesmallengines :

Ok. so it ran fine before and now it revs irregularly when it starts? Did you notice the revving while it was running or after start up?

Trianglesmallengines :

What I mean is, wer you using it when it started or had you just used it, say a week ago and started it up then it began to rev

Customer:

It started while it was running while i was using it. there is a small spring on the governor that is off but I do not know where it goes

Trianglesmallengines :

Ok. there's the likely problem. The gov spring needs to be reinstalled it probably got disengaged while using.

Trianglesmallengines :

We need to locate the model number. are you with the machine now?

Customer:

I can go down to it, Where would the model number you need be at. on the engine or the tiller itself

Trianglesmallengines :

Hold on I may have found a diagram. One sec

Trianglesmallengines :

ok this one doesnt have the engine breakdown, go to the machine and look for a series of numbers on the engine..the words "model xxxxxx type xxxxx -xx code xxxxxx" in that format.

Customer:

Ok all of the stickers are gone off of the engine except the one on top of where the pull cord is the says briggs and stratton 8 hp. I could not find any numbers stamped into the engine

Trianglesmallengines :

ok. im looking at some other diagrams of the model I found for this Snapper RT8

Customer:

This is around an 1980 to 1985 year tiller. I bought it new

Trianglesmallengines :

Does this look like your setup?

http://www.partsandservice.com/bin/ipl.cgi

Trianglesmallengines :

Go to this page and typr Brigg model 190707 model

Trianglesmallengines :

type 2110

Trianglesmallengines :

This may work as a direct link:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=190707-5638-99&dn=69260003B

Customer:

yes this looks like it

Customer:

Where does the spring go to? The spring is around the lenkage that goes to the carb off of the governor. does it go in the same place the linkage hooks up?

Customer:

The spring on the linkage I am talking about hooks to part 131

Trianglesmallengines :

ok let me look

Trianglesmallengines :

If you look on the governor arm where it comes down from the engine, there will be a small hole to connect one side of the spring and another on the throttle shaft.

Trianglesmallengines :

In some setups the holes for the link and spring are side by side.

Customer:

are you calling the throttle shaft part 131?

Trianglesmallengines :

yes

Customer:

so it goes in the same hole that the linkage hooks to the throtttle shaft? I will try this but If it is hooked to the same locaton as the linkage on both ends then what is the purpose of the spring?

Trianglesmallengines :

The purpose of the spring is to regulate the tension. That's why it is revving because governor dictates the engine speed, without the spring it cant "find" where it should be.

Trianglesmallengines :

It wants to run either really high or low

Trianglesmallengines :

The spring keeps it going too much one way or the other. You see?

Customer:

ok the spring is back on and it is running better. Do you know how many turns on the air mixture and fuel mixture screws is the factory adjustment. I was messing with them and got it out of adjustment. this is my last question. help me with this and i will add you a bonus

Trianglesmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience: I own/operate a Small Engine shop in RDU area