Chris
Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
5111025

I have an early model (pre 2001) Honda EX1000 that bogs down

I have an early model (pre 2001) Honda EX1000 that bogs down or even kills when any load of substance is placed on the receptacles. When I received this hand me down, it was not running well, over revving and hunting up and down, producing 240v at the receptacles under no load, 24v at the DC terminals. After adjustment at idle under no load it now idles smoothly. It still seems to prefer the choke always be partly closed, as it runs a bit rough when wide open. I suspect a governor issue that is preventing the engine from revving up to compensate for a load. but I've read that this model is designed to run at a constant rpm all the time regardless of load? Is that true? I also read that there is no voltage regulator, but rather a compressor capacitor, rectifier and diodes that may fail. Any thoughts or ideas. I would like to get a year or two out of this thing with out putting much money in it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Chris :

Hello how are you

Chris :

Your gen set is exibiting classic signs of a dirty carb.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Chris, I'm good how are you?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

At this point you will need to remove the carb, completley disassemble it, and soak the components in a quality carb cleaning solution overnight, then blow everything out with compressed air. That should get you back up and running properly again

Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

If you have any further questions please post them here and i will help you any way i can.

Please do not base feedback left for me on the system error we experienced.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fouled carb hypothesis certianly would address the 1/2 choke preference and such. I'll follow your suggestions to clean thoroughly. But, any idea why I am getting 240v out of a 120v receptacle? and 24v DC from a 12v battery charging terminal?

Should this type / model of gen rev up when a load is applied? Or is it 3600 RPM all the time? That is the only RPM spec in the manual.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

The voltage output of that set is based on engine RPM. 3600 is the proper run speed. You will need to get the rpms down to properly diag the generator. As far as should the engine return to idle with no load, i will need to look through my older manuals and get back to you. This is a 20 year old unit. Did not what to keep you waiting longer. I will post my findings shortly.

Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

It appears that model runs at a constant 3600 rpm. Clean out the carb. Be sure to poke though the jets with a piece of soft metal, use a metal bread tie, this insures they are completley clean. I will also post you a link to the manual if you do not have one already.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/pdf/manuals/31ZC0020.pdf