James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years

MTD Yardbug forward and reverse cables ( Identical) fit on

Customer Question

MTD Yardbug forward and reverse cables ( Identical) fit on lever on steering column ,
the forward select cable is easily changed but when it comes to the reverse cable fitting the new cable to the top is ok but how in the hell do you connect to the back bracket which is located in behind what looks like a cover plate,do you undo the bolt that goes through the lower bracket and take bracket out so that reverse cable can fit into hole provided,connecting to back bracket for forward gear selection is no problem as bottom of bracket is clear of the cover plate, are there any of the other small bolts that should be undone
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

sorry for the delay

James W :

I have hopped into this question because no other expert had and it has been 4 1/2 hours

James W :

This unit predates eben me a bit

James W :

but I did find a service manual that may help you

James W :

the entire service manual is here and it has several sections that apply to the yard bug

James W :

You can also click on the yard bug link, but I am not sure it has everything you need there

James W :

Normally what MTD did back then was make a manual that applied in general to several riders

James W :

then add sections that explained the differences between models

James W :

the yard bug section in this manual I think covers the differences (exceptions) for the yard bug

James W :

and the whole manual covers everything else

James W :

think of it as the whole manual is the set of rules and the yard bug section is a set of exceptions to those rules

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.