Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

I have a Yard machines, 8 hp, 24 inch snow blower - It does

Customer Question

I have a Yard machines, 8 hp, 24 inch snow blower - It does now start. I changed spark plug and changed oil.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 2 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello,will it restart easy if you let it sit a few hours? Is it hard to start? Can you explain in more detail what the problem is?

Customer:

This issue surfaced last winter - It does not start since then. So, I just changed the Spark plug and changed new oil.

Customer:

Neither the electric starts not the pull ..

Vince O. :

Both starters do not work?

Customer:

Correct. Both does not work -

Vince O. :

Does the rope just pull out or does it engage and lock?

Customer:

Rope pulls just fine, like usual.

Vince O. :

it turns the motor? that's what I need to know.

Customer:

How can I check that ? I seem to make the usual noise when I pull the rope.

Vince O. :

If so, does the motor seem that it spins easy? (compression problem)

Customer:

Can I call you by phone ?

Vince O. :

Remove the belt cover so you can see if the engine pulleys are turning.

Customer:

OK. I will go to the garage.

Vince O. :

No external contact is permitted.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

how do I locate the belt cover ?

Vince O. :

Do you have your operators manual? If not give me the model and serial numbers from the sticker between the handles on the frame.

Customer:

one sec

Customer:

31BS644E129

Customer:

1I253B30179

Vince O. :

got them.will get back shortly

Customer:

ok

Vince O. :

Full Size Image

Vince O. :

I will provide a link to the operators manual and it has a parts breakdown too if needed.

Vince O. :

Remove the 2 screws holding the belt cover on and pull the rope while watching if the pulleys turn.

Customer:

hi - I opened the belt cover - when I pull the rope, the shaft, pulley is rotating.

Vince O. :

Good,the pull starter is working.

Customer:

Pulley is working - not starting still.

Vince O. :

And if you plug in the electric starter and it turns the engine it is ok too .

Customer:

You asked me to check, if the pulley is rotating, by opening the belt cover. The shaft is rotating. But, this does not start my engine.

Vince O. :

You have an engine starting problem and not starter problems.I didn't understand your question the way it was phrased.

Vince O. :

You made it sound like both starters were broken.

Customer:

Sorry. The engine does not start - That is the main issue.

Vince O. :

It could be a few things.Is the plastic ignition key inserted in the slot ?

Full Size Image
The engine will not start without it.

Vince O. :

The carburetor may need cleaned and/or a primer problem.

Customer:

The ignition is on.

Vince O. :

The plastic key is in?

Customer:

yes

Vince O. :

You may have to remove the metal carb cover.

Customer:

OK. I will do now.

Vince O. :

2 screws in the front,One near the muffler and the choke knob pulls off.

Vince O. :

You will then have access to the carburetor so you can see if it goes on full choke and to inspect the primer hose for cracks

Vince O. :

Once cover is off put a few drops of fuel or squirt some carb cleaner into it and see if it fires.Plastic key must be in or disconnect the wire to its switch.

Vince O. :

If it fires and quits the carb probably needs cleaned.

Customer:

Went to get the carb cleaner - opened the carb door and cleaned the carb. The rope starter works fine. When I try the Electric starter, it stalls and nothing happens.

Vince O. :

You now need to take the carb apart to clean the main jet.Turn the gas off or clamp the fuel line.remove the nut that holds the carb bowl on,that's the main jet.

Vince O. :

I'm gatering info for you.

Vince O. :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Vince, I have to take care of few other things now and it is fairly dark in the garage - I will be able to look into this around 9 AM tomorrow morning and will update you.

Vince O. :

That's fine.I should be online around 4 pm

Customer:

Vince, don't have the patience to open up the carb again. Quick question. Do you think that cleaning the main jet is a must ? OR is this just for the electric starter to work? If it is just for the electric starter to work, I can leave without it. I am fine of the rope starter works. I will live with this. Please let me know. Thanks for your help

Vince O. :

Cleaning the main jet is a must for it to run.Clamp the fuel line and remove the bottom nut/jet only and poke a wire through all holes and then spray carb cleaner to verify it comes out all holes and they are open.

Customer:

Vince, Thanks again. I tried opening the carb - I am worried that I will mess up. I will go to a local operator if this gives me more issues. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it. Happy holidays and good Christmas.

Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
Expert:  Vince O. replied 2 years ago.
Ok,Thank You and Happy Holidays to you also!