Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

how much wire comes out of a generac L4002 stator and how are

Customer Question

how much wire comes out of a generac L4002 stator and how are tey connected
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset itself?

What do you mean by 'how much wire comes out of the stator' - are you wanting to know how many feet of wire are in the windings?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no the leads
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

The leads are usually only about a foot long. They are only long enough to attach to their connection points.

Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thats good. ill have to get the model and serial # XX the morning
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

With the model and serial number, I can get you a schematic if you want it.

There are 5 different model numbers that carry the L4002 label - and 4 different schematics.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

No problem at all, my friend.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the generator is old so i might not even see those. so if its possible you send me the schmatics one by one with the mod and serial #
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

That will take me a long time to do, but if we have to, I can.

See if you can get the numbers, though.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that would be in the morning but u could jus send me one let me see what it looks like
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

It will take me a bit.

Hang on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok ill wait
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

This isn't the best copy in the world, but it's the best I could do.

Click here to download it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i got it im going to take a look at it. so in the morning ill see if i can get the #S TO GIVE YOU
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

OK, talk to you then......

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yah
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok hank the modle is 8915-4 and the serial# XX XXXXXXX
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

What a coincidence - the schematic I sent you was for the 8915-3 and 8915-4.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i can hardley make out the words. i need to know two things though the turns of the stator coil and the volt i should get from the rotor/amature
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure what you mean - could you please explain that a little better?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok what amount of volts I should get from the ameture when the generator is runing
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

There is no voltage that comes out of the rotor (armature), the voltage comes out of the stator. You should get 120 volts from each leg.

I did manage to get a little better copy of the schematic - not a whole let better, but some.

Click here to download.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i only have two problem leave 1 is the some one mees with the wires coming from the stator so i would like to get back the original connection for the coil
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

I am having trouble understanding exactly what you are wanting.

Perhaps if you tell me exactly what is going on with your genset, I may be able to help you better.

And please use some punctuation and sentence breaks - the run on sentences are nearly impossible to decipher.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I got the genset from someone, the coils in the stator was connected different from the original connection , so I wonder if you could help me with that
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

I see now.

There are only 3 windings in the stator - 2 power windings, and one exciter winding.

The exciter winding will be the small red and blue wire - both go to the bridge rectifier.

The 2 power windings are actually connected internally, so there are only 3 power leads coming out of the stator - gray, and the larger red and blue.

The red is the neutral, and it will go to the neutral side of the receptacles. The wiring diagram shows it going to the 120V/30A receptacle, but the wiring schematic shows it going to the 120/240 volt receptacle. I believe it should go to the 120V/30A first - but as long as the neutral sides of all receptacles are tied together, it will work.

The gray wire is the 30A side of the stator, and it will go to the 30A circuit breaker.

The blue wire is the 20A side of the stator, and it will go to the 20A circuit breaker.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that make sence, but I would like to know how the leads are connected on the coil internally that would be of great help
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

I have not idea how Briggs connected them - they may be copperwelded, or they may be mechanically spliced.

But it is not anything you would be able to get to.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So witch one of them should be the center tap
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im going to see if i can put back the original connection but i want to know if their is a center tap
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Sorry - I got an emergency call from work and had to go in.

The center tap is the red - it is always a neutral.

I have just gone over everything you have posted, and I am getting the idea that you are trying to rewind the stator.

If this is so, I highly recommend that you not try it - that is something that is best left to the professionals.

There is much more to winding a stator than simply wrapping some wire on it.

The correct size, type and amount of wire, each winding must be wrapped in the proper direction around each laminate, each winding must be wound in proper direction around the stator - and much more.

To not get it perfectly correct could easily lead to severe injury, or worse.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i do motor rewinding thats why i wanted the orginal connection
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

If you rewind motors for a living, it should be no problem for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, i already connected it but,i need the rectifier for it or if you could send me the schematic so i could build it
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

I have no schematic for the rectifier - it is a sealed unit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i need one cause the one that came on it is broken.do they have any substitue
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Not a substitute, but there is an aftermarket board available.

Here is the link to it:

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/generac-66850-rectifier-power-module-66850gs-buy-our-br3512-p-216.html

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Disregard that last post - I accidentally copied the wrong link.

Here is the correct link:

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/bridge-rectifier-for-generac-28293-or-79569-portable-units-p-857.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
these things r hard to get where i live. do u have any idea how to build one
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

No, but I posted the link to where you can order one online.

I find it hard to believe that you can not get one locally - any electronic shop will carry them.

If you rebuild motors, you should have a couple dozen laying around.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok so thats all i need and am good to go then
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

OK

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok hank i have the rectifier now wat
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Is it installed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not yet need to make sure how to do it
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

2 of the terminals on the rectifier are marked "AC". The red and blue stator wires will go here. It does not matter which one goes where.

The "+" terminal will go to the positive brush, which is the outer brush, and should be marked wire #4.

The other terminal will go to the negative brush.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok and then we should have current wen i start it
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so what if i dont get any current what should i do
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Flash the field.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and how do i do that
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

I thought you said you rewind electric motors?

1. Remove the spark plug wire - you do not want the engine to start while doing this.

2. Obtain an old extension cord that you can cut one end off, or an old power cord from an appliance (you will need the male end left on the cord).

3. Install a 5A fuse into both wires.

4. Note how on the receptacle, one slot is longer than the other. This longer slot is the negative slot. It is critical that you get it hooked up correctly.

5. Determine which wire of the cord will go to the negative slot.

6. Connect the negative wire to the negative terminal of a 12V battery.

7. Connect the positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery.

8. Plug the cord into the receptacle and pull the starter cord 6-8 times.

9. Immediately unplug the cord. DO NOT LEAVE THE CORD PLUGGED IN FOR MORE THAN 6 OR 8 SECONDS.

10. Disconnect the wires from the battery.

11. Reconnect the spark plug wire and see if the set is now producing electricity.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok ill do that and i do rewind motor but i dont have to flash the field coils for it to work its two different things
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Ok