J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

How do I separate the generator from the Briggs & Stratton

Customer Question

How do I separate the generator from the Briggs & Stratton engine in a Troy-bilt 3500 W portable generator?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

To separate the engine from the generator head you need to remove the bolts that secure the engine to the frame of the generator. On the very end of the generator opposite the engine there will be a cover that you can remove. Remove that cover and you will find a bolt in the center of the generator rotor. That bolt goes completely through the generator rotor and threads into the crankshaft of the engine. Loosen the bolt a few turns so that it is not touching. You will then use a hammer and a brass punch and give it a few good blows to the end of the bolt to loosen the taper seat. Keep doing this and loosening the bolt a little at a time to separate it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good - I have taken the cover off and exposed the en of the rotor. The bolt has a slot in it for a flat head screw driver and a nut. I presume I have to loosen the nut?
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
That is a little different if the nut threads on. The nut has to bee loosened a little and the nyou will hit on the end of the bolt. Get another nut or 2 and screw onto the bolt to prevent damage to the bolt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try it - thanks!
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you