Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

I have an LT 1050 Cub Cadet with the hydrostatic transmission.

I have an LT 1050 Cub Cadet with the hydrostatic transmission. Tractor is about 4 years old with 70 hrs. My son was cutting the grass the other day and the tractor stopped moving. Engine was running, blades still turning, but he had no forward or reverse. Haven't had a chance to check the fluid level. According to the manual it is maintenance free. Is it possible the fluid level is low?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

Ranwell1 :

HI

Ranwell1 :

There are many things that can cause this.

Ranwell1 :

I will be right back to discuss this with you.

Ranwell1 :

OK,

Ranwell1 :

Sorry, I had another customer here at my shop

Ranwell1 :

Most of these have a belt that runs the hydrostatic drive. it is possible that this belt has broken, slipped off one of the pulleys, or just wore out. It may need replaced.

Ranwell1 :

The manual is right , these hydros are not meant to be serviced.... at least by the customer.

Ranwell1 :

Some service centers can add fluid if needed, but this doesn't happen very oftem.

Ranwell1 :

This model is notorious for having the hydrostatic transmissions go bad, so this may also be the problem.

Ranwell1 :

I would suggest checking the blet and see that it is good and make sure that it is tight as well. sometimes the spring that goes on the idler pulley arm will break and cause the belt to get loose.

Ranwell1 :

Also sometimes the pressure relief lever on the hydro can get stuck in the off position. Try moving this several times and see if it gets better.

Ranwell1 :

Othere than these things, you might be better off letting a good repair center take a look at this. It probably would save you money in the long run.

Customer:

I was looking for a belt but it was dark and difficult to see. What is the easiest way to get access to the belt?

Ranwell1 :

Tere is no real easy access to the belt.

Ranwell1 :

But usually it is located just above the mower deck. You may have to remove the mower deck to get to it.

Ranwell1 :

Here is a link to a sectional MTD service manual for all 1000 series and 1500 Series Tractors.

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Public.do?model_num=13AQ11BP756&serial_num=&doSearch=Y

This tractor was made by MTD

Ranwell1 :

You have a 1000 series tractor.

Customer:

I wasn't sure if the hydrostatic trans had a belt so I didn't spend much time in the dark looking for a belt

Ranwell1 :

There are several sections of the manual, and you may have to check them out to see which one you need.

Ranwell1 :

You should be able to see the blet near the back of the transmision as it must connect to a pulley on the transmisson.

Ranwell1 :

NO! It think that the previous section was for the manual transmission.

Ranwell1 :

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "BONUS" if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.