J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

garage door goes all the way down and then back up. wont stay

Customer Question

garage door goes all the way down and then back up. won't stay closed. or sometimes goes down then halfway back up and stops?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

The first thing to check is to make sure the eye sensors are not interupted by anything. Once you have checked those then adjust the travel limit switches. The switches will be under the cover on the unit. Turn the down limit switch to a little higher setting and see if that helps. Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the advice you gave had the effect of making my garage door completely inoperable. the remotes no longer work nor does the wall control. you have provided the opposite of help.
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
Go the other way on the adjustments. If it still is inoperable then the plastic gear inside have likely stripped. If the gear was already partially stripped then when the limit switches were adjusted for more force it may have stripped the gear out comepletely. Do you hear any noise when you press the remotes? Does the motor even make a noise then check the circuit breaker that controls the opener. It may have tripped the breaker.