Tim K
Tim K, Technician
Experience:  Service Manager and technician for small engines and lawn equipment

I stripped down my Honda GX160 5.5HP pump engine to clean it.

Customer Question

I stripped down my Honda GX160 5.5HP pump engine to clean it. It's a standard engine with a governed throttle. Now I can't work out how the linkage rod and spring setup is connected. The way I have it causes the engine to hunt and die. How should the linkages be connected? There seem to be several holes and arms - which is a bit confusing!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

does this help any??

James W :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

James W :

well, not, that does not, but how abiout this

James W :

Here is part of a honda service manual that may help you..

James W :

do not pick the italian one

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

I will be notified via email of your replies and follow ups.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

James, I had already seen the first websit you provided and it does not give sufficient detail to establish just exactly where the rods and spring go - a very unsatisfactory result, especially as I had asked for "detailed" information.

The second website you provided of the Honda Manual Extract is next to useless as it has no info at all on the throttle governor arrangement.

What I want is a clear description of exactly where the components fit - or a good photo or detailed diagram. If you can't provide this, please say so and we won't waste one another's time. Thanks...............John

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

I will look and see what I can find.

Not a lot of "shared info" on this honda engine.

I have one in storage 50Miles away, and if I was near it, I could take detailed photos for you...

I looked to see if anyone else had and have not.

I will check with the other experts here..

Also, I will opt out to see if any other experts have very detailed PHOTOS of the linkage for your engine. Whoever supplies them first,will earn your accept.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks James, What happens next? I asume that I wait for any info that others may provide.

Or do I have to press the "Not Satisfied" button now that you have opted out?

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

If you push Not satisfied, then you terminate any chance that any other expert has to locate the diagrams you are hoping for...

Frankly, I would wait until either someone gives you the correct answer, or until you do not need the answer anymore.

I opted out to allow other experts a chance to answer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Surely someone amongst your experts knows how to connect the throttle/governor linkages on the Honda GX160 small petrol engine. I have had two "answers" so far. One provided a small diagram of the disassembled engine which did not provide sufficient detail. The other answer provided a link to the engine manual in several languages - and this document had no reference to the linkages!
Expert:  Tim K replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answers. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X would like to help you with your question
I have a pressure washer with a gx200 in my shop.
The carburetor and governor setup should be the same, so i took some pictures for you to see what it should look like
Expert:  Tim K replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Tim K, Technician
Experience: Service Manager and technician for small engines and lawn equipment