J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

my troy bilt riding lawn mower will not start. When turning

Customer Question

my troy bilt riding lawn mower will not start. When turning the key it trys to turn but it doesnt turn enough then after you try once it will make a clicking noise. I have replaced the starter and the selinoid (spelling not correct). Any suggestions on anything else i could replace or check
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

The problem sounds like a typical engine that needs to have the valves adjusted. This is a very complaint on the overhead valve engines. If you remove the spark plug and then try to start it the engine should whirl over good if my theory is correct. The engine will obviously not start since the spark plug is out of it. The reason this happens is that there is a compression release on the exhaust valve. Once the clearances on the valve become too wide theis feature does not work. Provide me with the model numbers off of the engine and I will let you know the specifications. The engine model numbers should be stamped into the metal cover on the front of the engine that has OHV stamped into it. Let me know those model numbers and we will go from there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the model number is 13aj689g766. I took the spark plug out but it did the same thing

the engine tried to turn and after that it clicked. I have been working on it for some time this afternoon so as of now i have put it back in the garage. I dont know how this works but if you have any suggestions i will try those and send the 17.00 they ask for. I assume thats how it is. but i dont want to put more than that into this.

Thanks

lora parker

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
If you have replaced the starter and the solenoid and you are still getting the click then it sounds like you have a bad battery. Check the battery voltage and see what the reading is. Let me know. Just respond once you have had the chance to take a look at it again.