Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Toro 22 in. recycler, model 20332. The self propel

Customer Question

I have a Toro 22 in. recycler, model 20332. The self propel stopped working and I adjusted the drive cable which corrected the problem but only till the first time I stopped to make a turn and now it didn't work again and adjusting the cable doesn't correct it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be helping you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

This is usually due to cable stretch or belt wear. How old is this machine? It was made 2009-2012.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was puchased new this year , the first week of May.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Is the belt still in place on both the transmission and engine pulleys? Does it seem to be tight enough not to slip?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The belt is on both pulleys but does have a lot of play in it, but wouldn't that be because it's not engaged
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, should have specified that I meant with the drive handle engaged. The cable when tight, will pull back of the transmission, pivoting the transmission and tensioning the belt. Is it tight enough not to slip with the handle engaged?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There a little less slack when the handle is engaged, but still a quite a bit of play in the belt
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Then you either have a stretched cable or a worn belt. Does the spring on the end of the cable appear to be stretched? Does the sides of the belts appear worn down and shiny?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The belt seems fine. I assume the cable is stretched.

According to the instructions, when you want to disengage the self propel feature, you should ease up on the handle and then let the mower move by itself for a little bit, and then pull it backwards. I has going right along with it working and came to a flower bed all of a sudden and just jerked it back while it was still trying to move forward. that's when it stopped working for good. Would that have caused the cable to stretch?

Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
It's possible, but in the case of a sudden jerk -- if it was severe enough -- I would also check to see if the cable is still anchored properly at both ends. Check four places, please: the braided inner cable anchor points on both sides, and also the outer casing anchor points on both sides. If they are intact and the belt is in good shape, then it is most likely a cable issue.

To be thorough, you might also want to remove the rear wheels and inspect the inner geared surface of the wheels and the drive pinion that goes against it for any wear or damage.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

If the wheels and pinions are good, then the only other component is the gearbox.

Keep me posted....