Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

generac 5000W generator Model 01312-0 that wont start.

I have a generac 5000W generator Model 01312-0 (svp5000T) that won't start. Fuel is new, bowl is clean and bowl screw ports are clear. I have oil in the generator so the Low oil shut off should not be stopping it. I disabled the low oil shut off but still can't get it to start. I sprayed starter fluid in carb in choked and unchoked position, no start. help!

Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

The first thing to check is to see if you are getting any spark at the plug.

To check for spark, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.

Remove the spark plug from the cylinder.

Attach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.

Using insulated tools so you do not get shocked, hold the base of the plug to the bare metal of the engine.

Crank the engine and observe the plug for spark. There should be a bright blue spark jumping the gap of the spark plug.

Is there spark present?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
New plug gapped at .03, no spark when connected and metal plug shell touching head bolt, but when grounding myself and touching the spark plug lead I get a good magneto jolt. Frustrating.
Remember that this system has the low oil sensor that performs automatic shut off when there is a low oil condition. How do I disable this feature to ensure I am only working with the engine without worrying about this "dumb person's safety feature?"

I have sufficient oil of right type (SAE 30) in the engine and I am definitely getting compression...I get significant resistance once each full revolution of shaft while pulling. I smell fuel in the cylinder when the spark plug is removed and the bowl is full of fuel. Again, starting fluid doesn't make it start. Somehow the spark isn't getting to the cylinder. Cylinder doesn't appear to be flooded, the spark plug was still dry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hank I haven't heard back from you. I posted three weeks ago but you have never posted back. Generator still will not start.

Sir, it seems that you may have inadvertently opted Hank out which does not allow him to answer back to you. We are working on having the administration fix this so that he can answer you. I'm sure he will get back to you soon

I'm sorry I haven't responded - you had opted me out, and this prevents me from responding.

I had to go through one of the administrators to get me opted back in.

If you are feeling a shock, but no spark is coming through the plug, it would indicate that the plug is bad.

But first, remove the flywheel cover to expose the magneto.

Disconnect the shut down wire from the coil and check for spark again.

If you still do not have spark, put in a new spark plug - even if yours is brand new.

If you do have spark with the shut down wire disconnected, it would indicate that something is grounding out the magneto.

Go to the low oil switch and disconnect the wire.

If you get spark now, the oil switch is bad.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hank thanks for getting back to me.I have disconnected both
wires from back of switch so that there is no chance of grounding. Isolated them and still no starting. Frustrating! I purchased two new spark plugs and I get no visible spark with either one though I still feel the jolt. Could the magneto just not be putting out enough power?

Yes, it is possible.

But before replacing the magneto, check the magneto and flywheel for excessive rust.

If they are very rusty, I would sand them and try again.

Then if it still will not give a spark, then I would change the magneto.

Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done all of this and am in the process of changing out the electronic coil. I am getting frustrated...

I understand.

But this is a very basic system, and there is not a lot that can go wrong.

Let me know how it does when you get the coil changed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hank I'm not done. Unfortunately, I have been on travel for two months and have not had time to complete the necessary repairs. I will get with you in January to work through the remaining issues. I have the replacement coil that i believe will correct the problem of no spark.

Not a problem at all, my friend.

However, be advised that I will be gone on a hunting trip from January 5-10.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I replaced the coil and sure enough, the generator cranked right up. Thanks for all your help.

Good deal - I'm glad to hear that.
It's a good thing you replied today - I'm leaving tomorrow for my trip.