James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

I have a McCulloch 2014 Chain Saw. When trying to use it after

I have a McCulloch 2014 Chain Saw. When trying to use it after a period of not using, it would not start. Took it to a local small engine repair who got it running, but said there is an oil leak which he could not fix.

Upon getting it home there was oil in the case, so I put some in. It ran out the bottom immediately.

What is causing the oil leak and is it something that can be fixed?

I have had it a few years, but has not been used much so is in good condition otherwise.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

Your question is "can the oil leak be fixed and what is causing in"?

James W :

First, here a service manual for your saw

James W :

First, the "can it be repaired". question..

James W :

YES...

James W :

Is it worth being fixed? Likely not.

James W :

To be able to get to the Oiler system the saw must be "Decased". which takes a very long time for an expert.

James W :

Also, since the bankruptsy, most of the older mcculluch parts are extremely difficult to locate

James W :

The new saws are mosty chinese imports (and junk).

James W :

AUTOMATIC CHAIN OILER.

The

automatic chain oil pump is shown in

Fig. MC132. Remove the fan housing,

fljrwheel and air shroud for access to

the oil pump. A plunger gear repair kit

is available for the pump. Oil pump output

is not adjustable.

James W :

Any one of the following parts can be the culprit

James W :

20. "0" ring

21. Washer

22. Spring

23. Oil pump plunger

24. Plug

26. Oil hose

14, Seal

15. Oil pump housing

James W :

If the O ring is worn, the washer misplaced, the oil pump plunger cracked, the plug loose or cracked,

James W :

or if the oil hose is split or the oil seal or pump housing is cracked there will be a leak

James W :

Stupid thing is,

James W :

You can not tell until you actualy take it apart and LOOK at it....

James W :

You can try to fix it if you want

James W :

Usually when we get one of these in with your problem it goes into the file 13

James W :

But, if the saw is yours, and you will get some emotional satisfaction from repairing it and can call the 2 or 3 hours of work "Hobby time" then by all means, continue.. But understand,

James W :

once you get into it, you may run into a roadblock such as no part available

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

I will be available for follow up questions and will be notified via email of your replies.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.