James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years

I have a older Yazoo 42 inch walk behind mower. I need to replce

Customer Question

I have a older Yazoo 42 inch walk behind mower. I need to replce the barrings in one of the blade pulleys. There is a key but I dont know how to remove it to pull the pulley off. Can u help me please!?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

are you speaking of a half moon key or a square key?

James W :

I hello?

James W :

Are you there?

Customer:

sorry it took me so long i was getting more information

Customer:

the model number is XXXXX

Customer:

Its the middle pulley

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Seems like you are having trouble with the chat feature, so I switched to Q&A mode.

I will be notified via email of your replies.. I can continue to help this way.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

Also would be helpful to know the exact model number

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Yazoo_kees_owners_manuals.cfm

here is a collection manuals for current and older units so we can help each other.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX can u tell me were i can find the tool to take the pulley off?
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

I am not seeing that model. Does it have a model name?

Have you looked for any parts yet.. Many of these spindles have no parts and you just buy the whole spindle assembly..

But we need to identify yours..

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

the only Tool you can use is a wheel puller, and IF you use the wheel puller, you WILL destroy the pulley

You need to really SOAK the shaft down with PB Blaster for a few days

then you may be able to Drive the shaft out of the pulley.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I start to remove the pulley?

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

soak the shaft then wait 4 hours then soak again then wait, then soak again then wait overnight.

If it has a bolt in the top that holds the pulley on, then get a longer bolt with the same thread type and screw it in..

Then get a pry bar and apply gentle pressure and smack the Bolt in the center.. This should jar it loose.

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are three pulleys the one i need to remove is in the center. theres no nut just the rod with threds.
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

I finally found the manual for us BOTH to look at http://www.jackssmallengines.com/pdf_documents/Yazookees_Manuals/Walk_behind_mowers/W36KI_W48KI_W48W.pdf

Lets race to figure out what we are seeing and who can solve it.

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.
I am looking on page 80 and it looks like all the pulleys have nuts on them to me..??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see the pulley but i dont see the shaft. If u could tell me how to remove the center pulley I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

Are you talking about pulley number 43???

If so, it fits on a shaft that is Part of the mower deck

Then a spacer, and the bracket, then a nut.

Looks like after getting the bolt and the bracket off

and after sliding the spacer off

that you just PULL on the pulley..

But you will need to have soaked it down for a good many hours first..

gotta be careful because you do not want to break the weld loose that holds the shaft on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think its 84. Its a double pulley. I tired to remove it but I think theres a key inside. Would I need a special tool?
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

Now that we have identified the problem, identified which pulley it is, have the parts break downs and everything, I will have to opt out because I have no idea what holds this pulley on unless there is a Screw or a Hex set screw in the side... So I will opt out..

Look sideways at the pulley and see if there is a hole that is protected my the belt in the side which would allow for screwing a set screw in. It may be filed with grass, so you would have to use a lot of compressed air to clean the pulley.

Like I said, if there is a better answer, I am opting out to allow another expert to respond..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need to know how to take the pulley off in the center. There isn't a nut all I see on the top is the threads from the shaft.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! All three spindles are held in place the same way. The two outer shafts have the single pulley , held on with nut and washer. The center is held in place in the exact same way. If there is no nut, it has to be missing or someone has welded the pulley in place. The pulley needs to be pulled off the shaft, with a puller, to access the key that keeps it from rotating on the shaft. Then the key can be removed with side cutter pliers or tapped out with punch. Then the shaft can be driven through to the bottom. If you look at the parts list, it shows three identical shafts and two pulleys for the end.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks do u know were I can get the pulled from?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Any auto supply or Napa or someone like Harbor Freight has pullers that can be used.