gofastdk
gofastdk, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Small Engine Technician for over 25 years
61003911

hello, I have a craftsman 28 inch snowblower..part#247.888530

hello,
I have a craftsman 28 inch snowblower..part#247.888530 serial# XXXXX
when I engage the auger control with the motor running it makes a grinding noise and the motor will die out...
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  gofastdk replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. First I would remove the belt cover that is between the engine and auger chute. Inspect the belt, but it sounds like something is jammed and the grinding may be the belt slipping. Are you smelling any burning. Also you may have a problem with the auger bearing. That bearing is supporting the shaft from the auger assy when it goes thru the auger housing to the pulley the auger belt goes to. Another thing you can do is tip the unit up on the nose of the machine and remove the lower cover to inspect that bearing and pulley. Inspect and let me know .

.

Please message me back with any more questions you may have.

If this has helped and your pleased with my answer please accept for that is how we get reimbursed for our knowledge. But please don't accept until your fully satisfied. If you feel the service was exceptional to you, please feel free to add a bonus to your fee.

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It appears to be working now...the belts seem really losse and starting to show wear...is it easy to replace them