James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

I have a John Deere (JS63) 6.5 HP 3-in-1 self propelled mover

Customer Question

I have a John Deere (JS63) 6.5 HP 3-in-1 self propelled mover which I purchased in May 2001. Product # XXXXX Engine serial #(NNN) NNN-NNNN It starts and runs, and have been using it, but engine races. Very high RPM's. I am afraid it is going to blow a rod or something. I tried making adjustment with carb, but engine still races. I hate to get rid of it because it has been a very dependable mower. Just don't know if it is worth fixing. Any ideas to what the problem could be, carb, govenor?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

Very likey it is a very simple problem or one rendering the engine not worth fixing

James W :

OK, just kidding

James W :

likley you have lost a governor spring or it has just popped off and is just hanging there

James W :

The engine numbers you gave are not particular helpful

James W :

would need model number and then the type number and then the serial number

James W :

If it is a Briggs engine the model would be much like

James W :

(NNN) NNN-NNNN

James W :

12H802-0269 etc

James W :

and the serial number woudl be 01646546546 or something like that

James W :

But anyway, the only reasohn I would need the numebers if I need to help you get parts

James W :

Or if a diagram is needed to help hook the governor spring or linkage up right

James W :

If the spring is missing, you have to go buy one anyway

James W :

so, If one of My customers were smart, they would play dumb

James W :

and bring the entire mower in and say..

James W :

Can you help me to get the right governor spring for this engine

James W :

then once I had the spring in my hand, they would say "how much to install it".

James W :

If I am standing in front of a mower with the cright governor spring in my hand, if offerend $10 bucks to throw it one and make sure it is hooked up right, I am hooking it up...

James W :

Takes 45 mins if you do not know what you are doing

James W :

and 3 minutes if you do.

James W :

IF it is not a governor spring issue, then likely you have broken the governor gear inside the engine and it will need replaced

James W :

the gear is cheap, the repair is a pain in the rear and takes 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours start to finish

James W :

It is in side the crankcase and requires removal of the base plate.. You would need to make sure the gear on the cam shaft is OK..

James W :

AND, if it were me, I woudl replace the rings while I was at it to account for any wear over the past 10 years and regain engine power

James W :

Having saidf that.. It is likely a spring or linkage problem.

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended because I heard no reply, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

I will be notifed via email of your replies and follow ups and be glad to help.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a decal on the cover that say's family group YBSXS.1901VE 274474. Also there is a cover over muffler with(NNN) NNN-NNNNE1010102FA if that will help.
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

You have found the numbers, I think

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?mn=124602&lc=briggs_and_stratton&page=1

But you may wish to check them again. The above shows all known model type number combos... (2 short pages).

But even then, you could click on any one and be likely to bring up a carb, linkage, and control diagram set that may help or at least let you take inventory of something missing..

I just do not show a 0269-E1 as an option for the 124602

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

I found this which may also help..

It is a complete service manual for this engine.

http://dc347.4shared.com/download/YMM7Inin/272147_Vanguard_Single_Cylinde.pdf?tsid=20111002-151947-84e8e909

And other engines in the same series..(Not exactly the same).