Tim K
Tim K, Technician
Experience:  Service Manager and technician for small engines and lawn equipment
57226730

What do I need to replace the head gasket on a Cub Cadet Series

What do I need to replace the head gasket on a Cub Cadet Series 1500 Model SLT 1554?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Tim K replied 2 years ago.

Superiormowers :

Hello, welcome to Just Answers. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you with your question

Superiormowers :

What engine do you have on this machine?

Superiormowers :

there are a few different styles of engine available.

Superiormowers :

It appears that it should be a kohler v-twin engine.

Superiormowers :

If this is correct, then you will need to have the following gaskets--

Superiormowers :

valve cover
intake to head (2)
Carb to intake(1)
exhaust(2)
and obviously the head gasket

Superiormowers :

torque specs should be done in a two step sequence
200 inch pounds (17ft/lbs) and then 370 inch pounds (31 ft/lbs)

These specs are for a cv740, or sv740/730 engine, which is what your model number pulls up. If this is not correct, let me know what engine you have and I will get you the appropriate info.

Superiormowers :

Parts for this engine are available here for the cv740 (will say command on the engine)

Superiormowers :

and here for the sv740/sv730 version (will say courage on the engine)

Superiormowers :

Let me know if there is anything else you need

Customer:

So I will need to replace the valve cover, Intake to head, carb to intake and echaust? What steps do I take to remove and replace the head gasket?

Superiormowers :

the kohler engines are time consuming to do a head gasket on.

Superiormowers :

you will need to remove the center grass screen

Superiormowers :

then the plastic blower housing

Superiormowers :

the air filter housing that bolts to the carb. and then the intak

Superiormowers :

e

Superiormowers :

take care with the throttle/governor linkage and make sure it goes back in the same places. taking a picture and/or tagging the linkage rods/springs is a good idea

Superiormowers :

next the exhaust needs to come loose.

Superiormowers :

you can normally just loosen it on both sides, and dont necessarily have to remove the whole thing

Superiormowers :

there is some tin work that wraps around the side of the cylinder/head,

Superiormowers :

Valve cover and rocker arms

Superiormowers :

the push rods should go back in the same place, but they are the same so if you mix them up by mistake its not a big deal

Superiormowers :

four long bolts in the head, and your home free!

Superiormowers :

locktite on the bolts for the rocker arms and tin work when you reinstall is a good idea.

Customer:

Where is the center grass screen and plastic blower housing? When you unscrew the four head bolts, what should I expect when removing the head block?

Superiormowers :

the grass screen is the plastic or metal mesh covering in the center top of the engine. you have to remove this in order to remove the large shroud that covers the top of the engine. the bolts to the shroud are around the outside, and the screen normally has either 4 screws holding it in, or on some of the newer engines they sometimes just snap in and pull off. You will have a bit of oil, so it is a good idea to drain the oil before the job and fill it with clean oil when you are done.

Customer:

Thank you so much. My engine is the CV740S, could you give me the part numbers for all of the gaskets and parts I will need?

Customer:

Thats all I need is all the part numbers for the repair then I will send you your payment. I appreciate all of your help.

Superiormowers :

no problem you will need the following parts
This is a gasket kit number for the head 24-841-03-S. it will have the head gasket, new bolts, and one intake and one exhaust

New valve cover gasket is 24-153-30-s
**now if the valve cover gasket looks ok and stays in place most of the time you can reuse it. if it pops out of the groove, then you will have to replace it for sure.

Superiormowers :

carb gaskets are 24-041-14-S (this one is the one that tears sometimes from the carb to air filter base)
and 24-041-52-S (from the carb to the intake)

Superiormowers :

the other intake side 24-153-27-S
and the other exhaust side 24-041-49-S

Superiormowers :

these gaskets are only a buck or two a piece, with the exception of the head gasket kit

Superiormowers :

and you should have hydraulic lifters, so dont worry about having to set the valve clearances or anything when you are going back together

Superiormowers :

Let me know if there is anything else you need, and I will get back to you and help as best i can

Customer:

Very helpful, thank you so much.

Superiormowers :

More then welcome. Good luck with the job!

Tim K, Technician
Experience: Service Manager and technician for small engines and lawn equipment