Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

Excessive play in the steering of my Sears Craftsman lawn tractor.

Excessive play in the steering of my Sears Craftsman lawn tractor. The steering shaft assembly appears to be slipping on the sector gear. What do I need to order and how do I disaasemble these parts?

Ranwell1 :

Thisis going to take a lot of work.

Ranwell1 :

The first thing that you need to do is to get the EXACT model and serial number of your tractor and go to the sears website. www.sears.com/parts put the number of the model into thier search bar and this should get you the parts list.

Ranwell1 :

the parts that you usually need is the steerning gear that is on the steering shaft.... some of the time you have to buy the whole shaft.... also the sector gear will need to be replaced. DO NOT TRY TO REPLACE ONLY ONE OF THE GEARS!

Ranwell1 :

Also there is usually a bushing or a bearing that the steering shaft ges into at the frame of the tractor. this will need to be replaced.

Ranwell1 :

there is also usually a bushing or a bearing that goes to the sector gear. Tjhis needs replaced as well.

Ranwell1 :

You ahve to keep the wobble to a minimum or it will mess up again.

Ranwell1 :

Usually there is a clip on the bottom of the steering shaft. Remove this clip. The whe shaft should be loose and be able to be reaised. You probalby will also have to take the steering wheel off of the shaft and then remove the steering shaft.

Ranwell1 :

There is usually a bolt that holds the sector gear in place that will have to be removed. Also the steering rods must be removed.

Ranwell1 :

Replace the old parts with the new parts that you order off of the sears website. and reassemble.

Ranwell1 :

That should at least get you started. Keep in mind that each different model f tractor will be a little different and I cannot tell you exactly what to do unless I am actually looking at the tractor, but this should at least get you started.

Ranwell1 :

Also check any other steering parts to see if there is play in them Replace as neededn.

Ranwell1 :

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "BONUS" if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Customer:

The model is aNNN-NN-NNNNand I already have a parts list. I am confused why the steering rods must be removed. If I loosen the bolt holding the shaft support and remove the klip ring from the gear sector along with the nylon bolt hex that holds these all in place I should be good to go. Not sure, but I may have to remove the steering bracket to remove the gear sector, support shaft and bearing arm pittman. Your thoughts?