Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a bolens Model BL110 2 cycle gas trimmer. I have removed

I have a bolens Model BL110 2 cycle gas trimmer. I have removed almost all of the housing, and removed all screws holding it in place, but am unable to remove the last part that exposes the fly wheel. I think its called the Starter clutch assembly. It appears to be all disconnected, but it will not slid off. i cannot find a service manual or instructions anywhere.
What have I missed.
Please let me know:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Thank you,
Charlie XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 3 years ago.

Ranwell1 :

What are you trying to repair on this unit?

Ranwell1 :

If you are trying to replace the sarter r op or starter sparing, then this is the procedure.

Ranwell1 :

Remove the spark plug.

Take a piece of starter rope and push it down in the spark plug hole.

Turn the engine over until the piston contacts the soft starter rope. This will act as a piston stop.

You must remover the clutch first. There is a hole in the middle of the clutch. Inside the hole is a Torx drive screw. You must remove this screw and the clutch drum will come off. Next take a rag and put it over the clutch. Use a large pair of pliers or a pipe wrench to grab hold of the clutch through the rag. Be careful not to ruin the clutch with the jaws of the pliers or pipe wrench. turn the clutch off. Now you should be able to get to the starter pulley to replace the rope. Be very carefull while replacing the rope as there is a large spring under the pulley that is there to rewind the rope. If this pops out, you could be hurt..at the very least yu will spend hours trying to put this spring back in.

Ranwell1 :

If you are trying to repair ANY OTHER THING......DON'T !

Ranwell1 :

It is not worth fixing in most of these other cases.

Ranwell1 :

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "BONUS" if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

JACUSTOMER-z383y0t1- :

The unit is not creating a spark, so I want to check to make sure the flywheel magnet is clean. It was left outside for a few weeks and it may have rusted. this has happend to other equipment and once I cleand the magnet surface the spark came back.

JACUSTOMER-z383y0t1- :

I already removed the center screw and the small metal housing came off, now I have only a rubber gromet (oval with a metal piece into it) but it will not pull off, it seems to be still connected some how, thats what i'm trying to figure out.

JACUSTOMER-z383y0t1- :

I already have the screw out from the middle of the clutch, and pulled off the small metal cover. The remaining rubber/metal pice will not come off, and it appears to still be connected. Thats what I am trying to figure out. Where is it still connected. What I am trying to do is get to the flywheel magnet to clean it, because I am not getting a spark. It was left outside for weeks and it may have rusted. I've cleaned the magnets on other units and got the spark to come back this way.

Ranwell1 :

Sorry for the delay.

Ranwell1 :

The site said you were ofline.

Ranwell1 :

ACtually before you go to all that trouble, You should try checking the spark with the shut-off wire disconnected from the coil

Ranwell1 :

The rust on the magnets DO NOT usually cause the unit not to have spark.

Ranwell1 :

usually what happens when people clean the magnets and then get spark, is because they move something else in the process that causes the spark to appeaqr. And they think that the rust was causing the problem.

Ranwell1 :

IT is also very unlikely that you have very much rust on this flywheel magnet.

Ranwell1 :

I am having a hard time pictureing the parts that you are talking about.

Ranwell1 :

Here is the parts list for you r unit.
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=MTD&mn=41ad110g965

Ranwell1 :

IN this picture are you talking about the Clutch #9 in the picture? It includes the c;utch drum and the Clutch...which is the part that I think you are having trouble getting off.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=mtd&mn=41AD110G965+BL110&dn=769050910001

If the clutcfh is what you are having trouble getting off Then the information I send you should be correctl.

Ranwell1 :

Here is a complete service manual that should help you out.

http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/769_06465_25_cc_opp.pdf

Ranwell1 :

Ranwell1 :

Please ARROT UP to see the entire answer

Ranwell1 :

Arrow UP

JACUSTOMER-z383y0t1- :

Hi, sorry about going off line last night. If you look on page 54 of the manual you sent me, on figure 7.9 you will see the clutch rotor. This is exactly at the step where I am stuck. I have taken out the center screw from the clutch drum and removed it, and now all screws are out and the yellow plastic clutch housing is loose, but when I try and lift it up and off the engine, it will not come off, and it is prevented from coming off because it hits the clutch rotor assembly. I have tried to wiggle it off but it will not. So I am wondering, should it just slide up and off, or should the clutch assembly come off with the plastic housing to expose the flywheel. Could be the drive shaft is frozen, or maybe I forgot another screw, but cannot find any. Also, I will do as you say regarding checking the wire shut off etc, but now I'm determined to get the clutch assemby off, please let me know and then I will accept the answer.

JACUSTOMER-z383y0t1- :

Thanks, Charlie

Ranwell1 :

OK

Ranwell1 :

As I have said before, ... The clutch rotor MUST be removed. IT screws off. use the rocedure that I first sent you to get it off.

Ranwell1 :

Remove the spark plug.

You must remover the clutch first. There is a hole in the middle of the clutch. Inside the hole is a Torx drive screw. You must remove this screw and the clutch drum will come off. Next take a rag and put it over the clutch. Use a large pair of pliers or a pipe wrench to grab hold of the clutch through the rag. Be careful not to ruin the clutch with the jaws of the pliers or pipe wrench. turn the clutch off.

Ranwell1 :

The actual way it should be take off is shown in figure 7.8 using the special chutch tool.

Ranwell1 :

It screws off

Ranwell1 :

becauase this is a RUBBER clutch, you should be very careful when trying to get the clutch off, you could break if and then you would be in trouble,

Ranwell1 :

That is why they have a special clutch removal tool. This tool actually grabs the metal internal part of the clutch to turn it off.

Ranwell1 :

Yes I know you already removed the center screw, but I forgot to take that part out when I pasted the answer again.

Ranwell1 :

Customer:

Ok, thanks the last instruction worked, I was able to get it off. You were very helpful and I have accepted the answer and given you very positive feed back.

Customer:

Charlie

Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.