Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

Can you provide a wiring diagram for a Briggs & Stratton 15.5hp

Can you provide a wiring diagram for a Briggs & Stratton 15.5hp OHV engine. This is to be coupled up to an MTD which had a 12hp Briggs & Stratton L head engine. The mower has a yellow wire that went to the ignition and a white and red wire in a double plug that coupled to the alternator. I need to know which wire goes where from the new engine. The new engine has a red wire coming out of the regulator and black and grey wires in a double plug. The black one goes to the ignition and the grey one goes to the solenoid under the carburettor.
Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be helping you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

Your new engine has a tri-circuit alternator, and I'm not sure what you are replacing, since there were so many variations on MTD. To start, let me post this manual which should be a great help, since it covers every style out there. Then if anything isn't clear, please ask and we'll discuss.

Alternator Guide
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The old Briggs & Stratton was model 289707. So far, I have found the solution to the charging circuit but still have a grey wire coming from carburetor/solenoid on the new engine, does this connect to the ignition wire? If not, where does it go to?

Thanks
Did the original have a fuel shut-off solenoid? If not, you'll need to wire it so that it gets power when the ignition is in both the run and start positions. Most of the ones using that have an ignition switch with an auxiliary terminal internally wired for that purpose. But as long as you get 12VDC to it when starting and running you are okay.