Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

my 025 stihl chainsaw gets way too hot and doesnt use the

my 025 stihl chainsaw gets way too hot and doesn't use the chain oil like it used to...how can I get the chain oil to cool off the chain and bar?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

You are right that you should be using one tank of bar and chain oil to a tank of gas. Anything less is just not right. There are a few things that you can check or have checked. First we need to make sure that the oil pump is being driven. You will need to remove the bar cover and the bar and chain. On the sprocket you will see an e-clip, remove this and then lift off the clutch drum from the engine. When you have the clutch drum off you will see a little notch in it. This is what drives your oil pump when the clutch is turning it and the chain. Now look around the outside of the clutch with a flashlight, you should see a small hard wire poking out from underneath the clutch were this slot in the clutch drum rides. If you see it then it may just not have been lined up with the clutch but lets check the whole thing out anyway. You will now need to remove the clutch. First we need to stop the engine from turning over. Remove the spark plug and insert a length of skinny rope about the size of your pull cord rope. Now place a wrench or soc.et on the clutch and turn it off. The clutch has a reverse thread so to loosen it turn it to counter clockwise. Under this you will also see a large washer that can be lifted off. Now you will see the wire I was talking about. It should be attached to a plastic gear that will just pull off over the crank. You may need to turn it a little to get it to come off. The wire should be firmly attached to the gear and the teeth on the gear in god shape. The teeth are what turn the oil pump. Inspect all of this. If all of it looks good you will probably need to replace the oil pump.

If you need part numbers and or pricing for your parts just ask and I can forward them to you.

Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience: Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
stihl 025: pulled the clutch and found small hard wire on top of large plastic gasket, underneath side of gasket is a threaded cylinder that must drive the oiler gear. oiler gear bright chrome and in good shape but the plastic threaded drive cylinder was pretty eaten up and rough. looked for part online but nothing found for O25. should I replace oiler gear as well since I'm there or just the plastic cylinder? need your help to find the part number and reliable source to deliver my part. thanks Jeff Ronald if you recommend replacing oiler at same time...how do I remove oiler from engine.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.

The plastic gear and the small hard wire come as an assembly. It is part number 1123(NNN) NNN-NNNNand should cost you $10.70. You may be able to find this online somewhere, but Stihl is very strict about parts being sold online or outside of dealerships. Go to Stihldealer.net and input your zip code and the closest dealers to you will come up.

You are probably all set with the oil pump. If you want to replace it you will have to bring it to a shop These require a special tool to remove and are pressed into the saw housing in just a certain way and can be a pain in the neck to change

Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert