J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a B&S 540 cc 20 hp engine model 331777 type 0946 B1

I have a B&S 540 cc 20 hp engine model 331777 type 0946 B1 code 090429ZD which is in a Craftsman lawn tractor model 917.28910.
The engine turns over but it has been laid up for 1 1/2 years and won't start. I have cleaned out the fuel tank and put in new fuel, plus new spark plug.
I want to shoot a bit of "new start" into the carburetor to get it to start, but I can't get the air filter off. The air filter is a round cylinder (like a beer can) mounted horizontally above the carburetor. The Craftsman parts manual does not show a cylindrical filter but a flat sreen filter, which is not what is mounted on my engine. I tried Sears chat room to
get assistance but they were too busy for too long, and couldn't answer this question:
HOW DO I TAKE OFF THAT HORIZONTAL CYLINDRICAL AIR FILTER? IT IS BUTTED UP AGAINST THE FRONT END OF THE AIR FILTER HOUSING, AND THE OTHER END GOES INTO A PIPE LEADING DOWN TO THE CARBURETOR. CAN'T MOVE IT LEFT DUE HOUSING, CAN'T MOVE IT RIGHT DUE TO IT BUTTED INTO THE PIPE, AND IT WON'T LIFT UP.
HELP PLEASE

See attached link. Does this look like your air filter setup?

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=331777-0946-B1&dn=40220005

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes