J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

how do you replace the rewind spring on a cub cadet 4175, the

how do you replace the rewind spring on a cub cadet 4175, the clutch assy on the shaft prevents the yellow hsg from being removed in order to get at the rewind assy? How do I get the part of the clutch assy that is right on the shaft (looks like it's threaded onto shaft) off?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

See attached link and download the file. It will walk you through it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

page 50, step 5 shows clutch but that is not how my clutch looks. see attached for pictures of portion of clutch that is still on the shaft. There are also two springs and two other metal halves held around this portion of the clutch by the two springs, those two metal parts and two springs I've already removed but portion on shaft (shown in the attached pictures) which is preventing access to the recoil spring is the problem. How can I remove this so I can get to the recoil spring for the rope..graphicgraphic

The clutch says off and shows you the direction to turn it. Take the spark plug out of the engine. Get a clean piece of rope about 3 feet long. Put about half of the rope into the spark plug hole and then turn the clutch in the direction shown until you feel it lock up. Once you feel the clutch lock up then use a pair of channel locks or vise grips to loosen the clutch.