ps1067
ps1067, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Lawn and small engine mechanic12 years
52099655

i HAVE A JOHN DEERE 172 KAWASAKI CODE 420V, IT HAS NO SPARK.

i HAVE A JOHN DEERE 172 KAWASAKI CODE 420V, IT HAS NO SPARK. PLEASE HELP

First check to see if you have a safety switch problem. Do this by disconnecting the coil ground wires. There is a black wire coming from each coil. remove them and see it you have spark. The engine should run but it will not shut off without these wires connected. If you still do not get and spark from the coil(s) they ether are not adjusted closely to the flywheel or are bad. I have had both coils go bad on a 420 engine a few times. cant explain why. To test safety switches just use jumper wires between the connectors until you find the one that is bad. Seat, Brake, PTO (blades), etc.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

HI J.R. I CHECK THE GROUND WIRES ON THE COIL ,BUT WHEN I DIDTHE COIL BY THE STARTER THE ENGINE WOULD NOT TURN OVER .WITH THE COIL NEAR THE FLYWEEL,I STILL HAD NO SPARK.DO YOU HAVE A DIOGRAM FOR THE SAFTY SWITCHES? THANK YOU PAUL IS THERE ANY POINTS UNDER THE FLYWEEL?

It should still crank with the wire disconnected to the coils. If it don't crank over you might have a safety switch or starter problem. The only way you will have points is if the engine is very old. Like more than 30 years old. If the ground wires are removed on the coils you should get a spark. the ground wires ground the coils to kill the engine when the key or a safety switch grounds it. The engine should even run with them disconnected but with the only way to shut off the engine is to pull the spark plug wires. Unfortunately, John Deere does not publish a wiring digram for the open market. It is not available anywhere but from Deere. They might bet able to print something out for you.