Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Dayton 4lm38b 20kw stndby generator. When I open the

Customer Question

I have a Dayton 4lm38b 20kw stndby generator. When I open the front panel there is a white container that holds some liquid. What is the liquid so I may refil it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What color is the liquid - is it green?

Is there a hose that runs from the container to the radiator?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The container is completely empty but there is a hose that runs to what I believe is the radiator
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Yes, this is the coolant expansion reservoir.

You fill it only to the fill line - not all the way to the top.

Use a 50/50 mix of regular ethylene glycol antifreeze and water - the same stuff you would use in your car.

Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I replaced the fluid. The generator started running but it would occasionally shoot sparks and then the fault indicator came on and the gen shut off
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Where were the sparks coming from?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can't really tell. Looks like close to these two red plasic screws. Probably just under them where there is a black cylindrical thing with a metal screw at each end.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

I can't visualize what you are talking about.

Could you get a picture of it and post it on here?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I replied via the text alert but not sure u can access t
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Nothing came through.

Here is how to upload a picture.

First, make sure the picture is smaller than 1MB. You may have to resize it, but th bigger the better.

These instructions have one change - the 'tree' icon is now a paper clip.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't find the response page that gives me a choice to add attachments
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I email it to u?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, we are not allowed to share personal or contact information.

All correspondence must go through this forum.

You add the picture with the icons at the top of your reply box.

If for some reason you are not seeing them, you can also upload them to a 3rd party site, such as photobucket.com, and give me the link.