Jonbo88
Jonbo88, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  7 years experience with Briggs and stratton, Husqvarna, Echo,Snapper,Poulan,Murray, Mtd and many more
14645008

my genorator wont stay running

my genorator wont stay running unless I keep spraying starter fluid into it. What's wrong. It's a Homelite lr4300 Robin 7.5 subaru
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jonbo88 replied 3 years ago.

Jonbo88 :

Thank You for using JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX give me a moment to review your information

Jonbo88 :

This is a very common problem, The first thing you need to do is make sure the gas and tank are clean and there are no contaminates in them, second you need to get a carburetor kit and completely disassemble the carb an soak it in carburetor cleaner for an hour or so (available in a 1 gallon jug from any auto parts store) then use compressed air to blow all the debris off the carburetor and follow the instructions provided in the rebuild kit, This is fairly simple to do. What will usually happen is there will be a small piece of debris stuck in the needle or the needle has worn down enough to allow fuel to leak through it

Customer:

I have had the generator since 2005 and have never used it. I have put fuel in it a few times to make sure it runs and then let it run till the fuel is out of the system. I have always used new fuel each time

Customer:

The last time I used it was about four months ago and it ran just fine, now all of the sudden it doesn't???

Jonbo88 :

Gas is made so cheap now and all the additives they put in it now will cause havok on a carburetor and all the internal parts and it can cause pitting in the metal itself of the carb body, the best way to keep this from happening is to leave fuel that has stabil fuel additive mixed in, This will counteract all the additives that companies put in fuel that can cause damage to a carb

Customer:

Since I purchased the generator at Lowe's, where would I get a rebuild kit? Cars are simple but this is my first gen. Would it help to put the whole carb in cleaner for an hour or so or should I just attempt to rebuild it?

Jonbo88 :

If you put the whole carb in the cleaner the solvent will eat up the rubber and float so it will need to be disassembled, Lowes sometimes carries carb kits, or look in the yellow pages for any small engine shop or and smaller store that sells mowers, typically most Ace Hardwares will have a lawnmower shop. If not Lowes can tell you where the local parts house is for any equipment they sell. you will be suprised how easy it is once you start rebuilding it :)

Customer:

Thank you for your help in this matter

Jonbo88, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 7 years experience with Briggs and stratton, Husqvarna, Echo,Snapper,Poulan,Murray, Mtd and many more