T. Phoenix
T. Phoenix, Technician
Experience:  10 + yrs. working at family shop

what would cause oil to come up thru the breather kohler

Customer Question

what would cause oil to come up thru the breather? kohler ch20
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  T. Phoenix replied 2 years ago.
Hi There!
Thank you for letting me try and help you here.
Either the crankcase is over full or the vent is plugged forcing crank case pressure out through the intake.
T. Phoenix, Technician
Experience: 10 + yrs. working at family shop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you for helping me...oil level was fine...just pulled both heads off, cleaned and replaced gaskets, replaced rods (one was bent because (i think) laquer build up from old gas left in the carb/tank. well the first thing that happened after that is the valve cover attached closest to the muffler, cracked on the bottom two screw wholes...so replaced and ran, then took off to make sure rockers were still looking good...(after the cover cracked the one rocker was off) well,,,the pressure that escaped from that head was amazing...never heard anything like that before...so after that noticed leaking coming from under the carb area...so took off cover and started again to see where was leaking...it shot oil so high from the bolt whole everything was covered...lol (though not actually funny)
so am at a loss...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oil is fine, just replaced rods, cleaned heads and replaced gaskets. (bent rod due to (i think) laquer build up from old gas in the carb/tank) ran it and the valve cover on the side closest to the muffler cracked around the bottom two screw wholes...replaced it, ran it for a minute, took cover off and the pressure released was like i have never seen (heard) then noticed leak from under the carb...when took casing off to look took a bolt out and started it again and the oil was like a guiser!! help me i dont know what to do...the rockers are set so cant adjust...do you have any suggestions?
sorry to go on so long...really confused
thanks
Wow,
The only way you're going to get pressure like that into the crankcase is if the rings are stuck to the pistons and you're getting a ton of blow by.
If you had varnish or gum from sitting then chances are you have at least one or more rings stuck in the pistons and it's letting the compression into the crankcase.
T. Phoenix, Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you very much!!!!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
me again on this same subject...is there a way to 'un' stick the rings w/out taking piston out??? have read some things....mystery oil in thru spark plug hole and let set...among others... do you have an opinion or suggestions please
thanks again
Marvel Mystery oil works.
So does atf transmission fluid.
pour some in and let it sit for a day or two.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks...so i set it at bottom or at tdc
Doesn't matter on that engine.
If it were a 2 cycle engine it would have to be top but on a 4 cycle motor it doesn't matter.
T. Phoenix, Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you rock!!! excellent working w/you!
Thank you!
And you as well. All the accepts are wonderful.
Thank you!