gofastdk
gofastdk, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Small Engine Technician for over 25 years
61003911

My snapper rear engine rider wont roll while in neutral or

Customer Question

My snapper rear engine rider won't roll while in neutral or move when placed in gear. The hex tube wont turn freely. Already replaced the disc. and opened up the chain case, which looked ok and opened up the differential which was packed with grease..no oil. I am thinking rear axle bearing is the problem. Any diagnostic suggestions, common issues and instructions for replacing that bearing if that's what it is?? Thanks

Ben
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  gofastdk replied 5 years ago.

gofastdk :

Hello, Thank you for your question. It sounds like your brakes are locked up.

Customer :

I considered that, how do I unlock them...thing is though I was in motion mowing when all of a sudden the mower came to a stop... motor running fine, blade working but not moving forward... just before that I was having some issues with getting it to go forward... I had to put it in reverse on two seperate instances then put it back into forward to get it to move forward...

Customer :

in the past, when the machine was in neutral it was difficult to push it forward..

Customer :

what manual do the pros use to diagnose and repair this machine??

Customer :

I forgot to mention that when the mower was up on end, the back tires turned fine... i read somewhere it has to do with the gear set in diff. engaging when it horizontal vs. verticle during service... so I figured it was not the brakes.

Customer :

After opening the chain case... it appears the bushing on the left side does not slide or spin..when I opened the case and moved it away from the bushing everything spun fine... so. if I need to replace the bearing on the hex tube how do I do that.. where do I get a reference manual or can you get me instructions.. thanks

Customer :

what is a bearing needle?? that's what the part shows to be... should it be free or fixed.

gofastdk :

The # 9 is the needle bearing your speeking of. It is pressed into the case.

gofastdk :

Sorry for my absence. It is my only day off and i was working in the yard all day.

gofastdk :

A needle bearing does not have the forgivness a ball bearing has.

gofastdk :

The bearing can be driven out with a socket about the same outside diameter and hammer. The new one should be pressed in. That can be done with the case half removed and using a bench vise. Socket same size as bearing to press it in and a very large socket on the other side to press against.

Customer :

Ok, thanks, I need to know how to go about getting it off the hex tube... I assume I take the hub off and the outer boot and the drive shaft should be taken half out.. I am going to try and get further tomorrow with it.. any instruction on removing the shaft would be helpful. Thanks

gofastdk :

The shaft may be frozen in the bearing. If so use some PB Blaster penitrating oil to help get it out.

gofastdk :

If hammering on shaft to remove from bearing do not beat directly on the shaft. Use a block of wood or a brass/lead hammer. You don't want to mushrom the shaft.