Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

Cub Cadet Zero Turn hydrostatic drive is malfunctioning. The

Customer Question

Cub Cadet Zero Turn hydrostatic drive is malfunctioning. The right lever must be engaged very slowly to operate motor. I had the same problem a year ago with the left side. The dealer found nothing wrong and the problem went away until now.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

Customer:

I am not sure why the problem went away the last time, but usually the problem is that they hydro is going bad and must be replaced.

Customer:

These units are noted for the hydro's going bad.

Customer:

I still would have the dealer check this out, just in case there is somethign else wrong, but my best guess...(Without seeing it) would be a bad hydro.

Customer:

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "BONUS" if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Customer:

are you still there?

Customer :

Can you tell me who makes the hydro and what their replacement part number is XXXXX if they're available rebuilt?

Customer:

They actually used a couple different ones, I would need to get the numbers off of the Hydro itself to tell.

Customer:

I do know that they are not cheap.

Customer:

I might be able to tell if I got the EXACT model and serial number off of your unit, but even then I might not be right.

Customer :

Where are the numbers located on the unit?

Customer:

That is why I also suggested to talk to the dealer after he inspects it. He would be better able to give you that information.

Customer:

I would NEVER suggest that you order one online>>>>>!

Customer:

Usuall under the seat, or at the back of the unit

Customer:

If you get the wrong one, they won't take it back

Customer:

Let me check, I may be able to get you a website that will give you more information.

Customer :

So I'm reliat on the dealer then?

Customer:

RIGHT.

Customer:

It is always better to have the dealer do these kinds of repairs. Somaller items you can usually do yourself

Customer:

But on this type of situation, the dealer is your Best friend.

Customer:

You don't want to take my word on it if it means spending $600 to $900 on a nuew hydro.

Customer:

They neeed to be checked out first. I

Customer:

It could save you a lot of money.

Customer:

Also the amount of labor that the dealer would charge is not that much and you would usually be better off.

Customer :

Okay I would like to accept your answer but have a few more questions how do I go about that?

Customer:

After you accept,m you can refresh your browser and then it will give us a differnt type of forum in which to talk.

Customer:

Here is how to locate and download almost any cub cadet service manual directly from the mtd web site

It is important to KNOW the part number of the manual.

Click on one of these links and get the part number of the manual

http://cub-cadet.servicemanualvault.com/

or download this book to get the part number (more extensive).

http://troybilt.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/40320/1245762829

Then you substitute the part number into this link

manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/DocGetter?doc=770-10227.pdf

and make it this link

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/DocGetter?doc=770-10227.pdf

Example: Here is the 32cc 4 cycle trimmer manual

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/DocGetter?doc=769-04215.pdf

WOW there are a lot of manuals here

Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

Here is some good reading about Cub cadet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cub_Cadet

Today, the Cub Cadet units seen in stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and Tractor Supply Company are not the same premium quality units as what were manufactured before MTD bought them from International Harvester in 1981.The quality of Cub Cadet's 2000, 3000 series, commercial line, or Cub Cadet Yanmar tractors that are not available at big box stores and are only available at Cub dealers and meet or most often exceed their competitors such as John Deere, Simplicty, Snapper, Toro (ZTRs), Ariens, and Gravely. Modern Cub Cadet units found in stores now are nearly identical to the other inexpensively manufactured models MTD makes with the names Yard Machines, Yard Man, White Outdoor, Bolens, Troy-Bilt, and MTD. Even Toro can not compete with these cheaply made units, and sadly is having MTD make their Front Engine Tractors. The only substantial difference between these brands is the paint color Although some Cub Cadet units have a different frame design, hood, seat, headlights and hour meters, they are inferior quality to what once was made when owned by IH They even share replacement part numbers and partial model numbers with the other inexpensive MTD equipment (the first half of the number represents the true model number, the second half represents the brand stamp). The modern Cub Cadet units are technologically identical and offer the same features found on most other MTD brands; Even The commercial, agricultural, and premium lines (although better) are not on par with other equipment manufacturers, and the historically high quality standards of Cub Cadet IH.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I read elsewhere on this site that it might be a good idea to sell the mower after replacing the hydro since the problems with the hydros are likely to reoccurr. What's your advice?
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

If you read the article that I sent you, you can probably make that decision yourself.

If you are asking my opinion, then Yes I would never own one of these.

That is another good reason to have the dealer look at this. If he can at all get this thing operational without having to put a lot of money into it, then you could sell it and recover most of your repair costs.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How unfortunate for me since I intentionally bought the machine from a small dealer and avoided the lower priced model at Tractor Supply because I suspected the quality to be less. Sounds like the quality of MTD products is below par across the board. Any brands to recommend?
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

Exmark. Ferris, Toro "TITAN" model Shich is made by Exmark.. Toro OWNS Exmark.... or Dixie Chopper.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, you've been very helpful.

Thom
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome. If you ever need more help, please ask for me by name.