James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years

can a clogged muffler cause a lawn mower to stop,not start

Customer Question

can a clogged muffler cause a lawn mower to stop,not start 550 b&s how does muffier come off
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

yes the muffler being clogged can have a great effect

James W :

it is like a car with a potato shoved up the tail pipe

James W :

do you still have the old oil

James W :

can you smell it?

James W :

possible that the girlfriend did not overfill the oil

James W :

it is possible that the carburetor has been acting up

James W :

the float may have stuck

James W :

actually the needle valve may not be mating properly with the seat

James W :

and the flow of gas may not have been stopping

James W :

and the gas may have drained through the cylinder and into the oil sump mixing with the oil

James W :

This gas /oil mix would smoke very badly when it ran

Customer:

oil gone did not smell overfilled for sure carb a possibilty i have gas in cylender did not smoke

James W :

Your already tried section said it smoked badley..?

James W :

Gas in the cylinder is a symptom of the carburetor needing cleaned because the float is still stuck a bit

Customer:

when it was overfilled

James W :

Here is an owners manual for your engine

James W :

for future reference

James W :

later

Customer:

check carb over muffler

James W :

usually, muffler would make it seem low on power, and it would never really get up to full speed

James W :

kind of like as if you were running a marathin in your sleep towing a 100lbs behind you

Customer:

ok thanks

James W :

giving long sanswer next

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years