PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.

I have a 6150 Go Kart with a 150cc engine. When we try to

Customer Question

I have a 6150 Go Kart with a 150cc engine. When we try to start it we get one spark at the beggining and then no more spark We have replaced the CDI,Voltage regulator,starter selenoid,Staitor. Still only one spark. What do we do next?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, which engine do you have? Since it has a CDI I'm assuming you have the Honda clone. Off the CDI is there a black and white wire?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes There A black & white wire. We have also replaced the coil wire/sparg plug wire,also the spark plug.
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Pick a spot down that black and white wire where you can cut it but still splice it back together or splice a new wire onto it, then cut it and without letting the wire touch anything and then see if it will fire. Let me know what you get. Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you want us to cut the wire and see if there a spark or do you want us to cut the wire and splice it back together to see if there is a spark?
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, just cut the wire and then see if it will spark. Make sure to leave enough room to splice it back together because you will be splicing it together if it doesn't fire and splicing a new wire to it if it does.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it. It will be in the morning before I can check it out. Thank you again. I will contact you again in the morning and let you know how it worked out.
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
I'll be on and offline in the morning and will reply when I see your message.

If it does fire with the wire clipped, then you have a very common problem and that is a bad switch. I do not even bother with the factory style switches as they are simply not any good. I replace them with a weatherproof automotive or agricultural toggle switch. All you have to do is run a wire from the black and white wire to one side of the switch and another wire to a good ground on the frame. Then you can mount the switch anyplace that's convenient.

The way it works is that when you have the switch in the Run position, the circuit is interupted. When you flip the switch to kill the engine, the circuit to ground would be complete.

Now you may cut that wire and still not have a spark. That will require a good bit more diagnostics but we can figure it out. My shop provided factory service for Manco and several of the Chinese Karts and switch failure was responsible for probably 90% of all ignition failures.

Just let me know what you find, Thanks, PK.