Deere Dr
Deere Dr, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  John Deere service mgr for 18 yrs. Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, expert level for all

I have a LX 172 John Deere with a 14 hp Kawasaki engine. It

I have a LX 172 John Deere with a 14 hp Kawasaki engine. It has always started up fine, but yesterday it would not start. It cranks really good but will not start. It's getting gas at the spark plug but I finally figured out that there is no spark to the plug. Why is the spark plug not getting a spark?
Common problem with a poor answer.

You have 1 of 2 possible problems.

1: You probably have a bad ignitor (85%). It's the little 1"x1" silver box by the starter. (here comes the poor answer part) The only way to test it is with a known good unit. Our dealership keeps a new good unit we let customers borrow. I think most dealers do, if yours doesn't time for a new dealer.

2: Bad coil. 15% not really any reliable test here either.

Sorry I can't be exact here. The ignitor / coil system is what makes your 14.5hp engine cut like a 20 hp twin engine.

FYI we stock 4 ignitors and 0 coils. We sold 31 ignitors last year 6 coils.