Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

need to rewind manual pull start cord on my cub cadet model

need to rewind manual pull start cord on my cub cadet model 959435.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

Turn it over the recoil assembly and you should see the knot from the old rope get some needle nose pliers if necessary and pull the old rope out by the knot. Once all the old rope is gone begin to prewind your pulley by turning it in the same direction as if you were pulling out the rope to start it. Wind it up as far as you can until it stops. Now turn it back until the hole in the pulley and the hole in the housing line up. Insert your new rope through the housing hole and straight through he hole in the pulley and tie a knot. Holding onto the rope, allow the spring tension to pull the rope into the housing. Reinstall on your engine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
already tried that. the spool does not give me any tension when i turn it now.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
If that is the case then your spring is either broken or has bent and will need to be replaced. The entire assembly can be purchased for just a little more and no hassle working with it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How much for a replacement spring?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
That spring should only be about $5-$10 at most