Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

Craftsman Eager 1 Lawn mower wont keep running after I changed

Craftsman Eager 1 Lawn mower won't keep running after I changed the air filter. What's wrong?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

It sounds like something may have gotten into the carburetor. I would start with a quick cleaning and see if that helps

First turn of your fuel or pinch off the fuel line.

Turn you machine on its side so that the carburetor is facing straight up in the air.

On the side of the engine you will see the carburetor float bowl with your main jet in the center. Remove this jet by unscrewing it and gently remove the bowl inspecting to see if there is any debris inside it. Clean the bowl and spray some carb cleaner straight up and into the hole the jet was unscrewed from.

you will also need to clean the jet thoroughly including the little hole (a bread tie wire works well for this) not just the big one (see picture) Once everything is clean set the machine back on it's wheels and turn the fuel on allowing fuel to run through into a drip pan for about 10 seconds.

Stand the machine back up and reassemble. This should get you going.