James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

Good day, I have a John Deere LX277 AWS lawn tractor. It

Customer Question

Good day,

I have a John Deere LX277 AWS lawn tractor. It runs great, however when I engage the mower blades the tractor wants to bog down almost to the point of stalling. Once engaged the blades sound as if they are running at half power. The spark plugs are brand new.

Thank you,

Dan Floss
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 5 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

It sounds to me like a twin cylinder engine that is only running on once cylinder.

Start the engine and then, with a good set of insulated piers, pull one of the spark plug wires off and note how the engine runs.

If the engine dies, then you know that the other cylinder is not working.

If the engine runs the same, then the cylinder that you removed the plug wire from is not working.

If the engine stays running, but runs much worse than it did, then both cylinders are working.

What could cause one cylinder not to work?

1. Bad ignition coil

2. Valve rocker arm came loose. or bad valve.

3. Broken connecting rod on that side,.

4. BAd spark plug on that side.

5 Blown head gasket on that side.

Good luck.

If this is not the problem, contact me and we will look at this again.

James W :

Are we here?

Expert:  James W replied 5 years ago.
I have converted the question to Q&A Mode rather than chat. I will be available for additional follow-up questions. If my answers have not been acceptable, please let me know what more I can do. I will be notified via email of your responses even after you Hit ACCEPT.
Expert:  James W replied 5 years ago.

I mean to say..

It sounds to me like a twin cylinder engine that is STILL only running on once cylinder.

I actually formed my answer before I read What you had already tried. So I was not surprised when I read about the plug.. But, it still sounds like it runs on one cylinder under load.

Let me know of your follow ups.. Thanks