James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

belt diagram for bolens riding mower

Customer Question

belt diagram for bolens riding mower
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

Can you provide for me the bolens riding mower model number... Also, abut how old is it?

James W :

If this is an older unit, I have access to such diagrams, but it may take a bit of time to locate.

James W :

If it is a newer unit (since MTD bought the defunct Bolens and Troy-bilt names), then those diagrams are also available, but I would still need the model number, not of the engine, but of the rider itself

James W :

If it is one of the newer MTD units, I also have this to offer:

James W :

It would not actually be 100% inaccurate to call this a "Design flaw".

Bolens WAS a quality brand of equipment before MTD bought them out

and MTD, to their credit, continued that great quality for about 5 years.

But that has been 20+ years.

Bolens, Troy-bilt, Yardman, Yard-power, White Outdoor, are all Formerly quality brand names that were not able to compete with the cheap mowers made by Murray, AMF, Roper, and MTD

So all of those brands went out of business

So then the NAMES Bolens, Troy-bilt, Yardman, Yard-power, White Outdoor, and of course Cub Cadet were purchased by MTD

MTD is now putting those Names on their cheaply made equipment

The public is being deceived into thinking they are buying quality merchandise just because of the name

You can read more of this on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cub_Cadet

So back to the problem at hand

The Problem is poorly designed equipment overall made of average quality materials

the belt guards will slip

the angles of the belt path are sharper than they should be

The mower will work better if adjusted to a Higher cutting height

ALSO, you cannot WASH this unit at all with water

The bearings are sealed against dirt, but they are not sealed against water

so the water will actually be sucked into the bearings (especially if warm) and mix with the grease

this will cause the bearings to wear much prematurely

If the bearings in the pulleys fail at all, then the pulley will slip against the belt and cause belt wear but also will throw the belt off if it freezes when it heats up

So check all the pulleys to make sure that they spin without ANY noise at all or vibrations

A good bearing in a pulley will spin smoothly and make no noise and you will not even feel it spin much

If the belt ever comes off, you cannot reuse it

it must be replaced on one of these

The back of the belt usually gets damaged and it will not stay on afterwards

ALSO

The deck design is not good

the way it is hung combined with the subpar quality in the materials make it susceptible to warping or bending in the middle

if the deck bends, then the pulleys will never line up perfectly

You cannot bend the deck back because it will weaken the deck further and it will bend even more easily

Also, the materials and design around the spindles on the deck is not good and if you hit anything with a blade, the deck will bend and the spindle will now set at an angle

This misalignment of the pulleys will again cause belts to jump

Look hard at the belt path. The belt cannot twist then twist back and stay on

The belt or a pulley cannot touch anything at all period

Look for a spring that may have come off or has weakened

and may not be applying enough tension

James W :

The information included in the cub cadet article is a mirror of what happened to bolens, other than MTD Never made any quality Bolens equipment. The ONLY bolens equipment MTD made was just simply taking other already existing equipment and slapping bolens on the MTD cheap tractors.

James W :

If your equipment is pre 2001, then your equipment was not made by MTD, so you can ignore sume of the above, but

James W :

the reasons for the belt jumping off, pulleys going bad, etc are the same and shoud be looked at

Customer:

model#13am762f765 183629

James W :

We just have a lot more trouble with the MTD Bolens equipment then we ever did the pre MTD Bolens in the scores of years previous

James W :

the model you gave is an MTD bolens piece

Customer:

don't know how old

James W :

The engine serial number will tell us the age of the rider,

James W :

Which belt is it, there are usually three?

James W :

here is a treasure trove of info for you.. It is all the manuals published for your unit

James W :

but before I can research further, I need to know which belt

Customer:

engine #6bsxs5012vp 276470

Customer:

drive belt

James W :

The numbers I am looking for will be on the engine shroud or on the valve cover

James W :

they will be like model 28K2802 Type 1123-E1 Spec 04245455455 and will usually be stamped into the sheet metal

James W :

and labled as above or close

James W :

The drive belt is a tricky belt to work with on the 700 series MTD units

James W :

I think I have a complete service manual that will help solve your problems with full color photos

James W :

is yours a hydro or the variable belt slipping design

James W :

ALSO, I fully expect your problem to be a missing or broken tension spring or idler spring

James W :

these springs are a weak point on these designs

Customer:

051114ze03076 only numbers i could find

Customer:

belt slipping

James W :

dang... Wish you had the hydro.. Much better design

James W :

getting service manual

Customer:

my friend put it on he took the tension spring off for some reason and could'nt remember where he took it off , so he might have it hooked up wrong

James W :

Great.. That is expected

James W :

I am having some difficult

James W :

why do you not look at the parts list in the group I sent

James W :

and see if it makes any sense

James W :

I will continue to look for the service manual location

James W :

it is burried on the MTD education web site and not readily available ro the public

James W :

but it will be to you

James W :

This may be the wrong diagram

James W :

If so, I will find you the right one

James W :

I will convert the question to Q&A mode rather than chat

James W :

we wil be notified of each others replies via email so we do not have to be waiting on each other if this is OK

James W :

You can even ask follow ups even after you accept..

James W :

Here

James W :

is the service manual I was looking for for the 700 series

James W :

sorry ot took so long

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.

I have converted the question to Q&A Mode rather than chat. I will be available for additional follow-up questions. If my answers have not been acceptable, please let me know what more I can do. I will be notified via email of your responses even after you Hit ACCEPT.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry, my pc froze up so i had to shut it down and restart it
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.

That is OK... Just let me know if you need more help even if it is a week from now..

Thanks for the accept