Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

My lx266 riding lawnmower stopped moving forward and backward.

Customer Question

My lx266 riding lawnmower stopped moving forward and backward. Belt is intact and pins are in place in rear wheels. What is the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

Ranwell1 :

HI' I will be glad to help you.

Ranwell1 :

Even tough you said that the belt was intact and the pins are in the wheels, I am sending you my pre-prepared answer for your problem. The most likely paroblem that you have is that the transmission has gone bad and will need replaced, but check out all of these things again just to make sure that it is not something simpler than a new transmission.

Ranwell1 :

Three are several things that can cause this.

I will list them in order.

1. If a customer has ever taken off one or more of the back wheels to repair a flat tire the problem is usually that when they put it back on, the axle key was accidentally pushed out and is not there. If this is the case the axle will turn inside the wheel and the tractor will not move. Take off the wheels and check to make sure that both of the axle keys are in place.

2. You may have a broken belt. Check to make sure that all of the belts are good. Also if the belts are worn, they may slip in the pulleys and not turn the transmission under load.

3. A belt may have come off of one of the pulleys. If this happens, the belt will not tighten up and will not turn the transmission.

4. One or more of the idler pulleys may have a bad bearing or may be broken. With the belt taken off, spin each of the idler pulleys and listen to them. If they make ANY noise when they are spinning, the bearing is bad and the idler pulley must be replaced.

5. the key in the main transmission pulley may have sheared or come out. this will let the pulley spin on the shaft and not turn the transmission.

6. The transmission may have gone bad and will need to be replaced. These transmissions are not usually repaired, the are usually replaced as it usually costs as much to repair as it does to replace and repaired transmissions do not usually work very long.

I hope that this has given you some things to try.

Good luck.

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks