Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

How adjust throttle cable on a honda lawnmower or diagnose

Customer Question

How do I adjust throttle cable on a honda lawnmower, or diagnose why my mower throttle doesn't work right? More details - normally in the full back position it is choked and in the full forward position it is at full throttle. Now the full back position it won't start and the full forward position it runs at half throttle and doesn't sound normal either.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! The typical throttle cable is adjusted at the carburetor end, it is clamped in place with a screw and clamp. If the cable slips under the clamp, you have what you describe. To adjust, locate the screw and clamp that holds the outer housing of the cable, loosen the clamp,Move the upper throttle control to the choke position,t hen move the carburetor link , to the rear, as far as it will go. Then tighten the cable, and test. This should give you choke to start, and full throttle. Let me know. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-t5sxqrpp- :

Thanks Curtis, however it didn't help too much. My engine had stuff in it apparently, as it needed to be serviced and the carburetor taken apart. Thanks,