Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454
Small Engine

My Troybilt Storm 2410 Two Stage Snowblower won't start

I have a Troy-bilt Storm... Show More

I have a Troy-bilt Storm 2410 Two Stage Snowblower that I cannot start. I drained the old fuel and replaced with new, the spark plug looks good and appears to be firing. I am using the electric start and it does not sounds like it is even trying to start. I don't know if there is a clog in the fuel line. Any help is appreciated.

The problem is the same problem that happens to almost all snow throwers when they are not used very often.

The carburetor is dirty and needs to be cleaned and rebuilt with a complete carburetor repair kit.

This is caused because gas was left in the unit during storage.

Here is my comprehensive carburetor and fuel answer that may give you some ideas.

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems. Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

Today's gasoline's contain MTBE and alcohol. (Ethanol) They turn to "Junk and garbage" very quickly. Alcohol is partially water (H2O). And they call it "Oxygenated fuel. It is the oxygen that breaks down the organic compounds in the fuel and turns the gas to "Garbage" (Gum and varnish) The fuels we had just a few years ago had no alcohol in it and would store for longer periods of time before going stale... And fuel stabilizers do almost nothing to prevent the fuel from going bad with the changes in today's fuels.

Do not buy gas from the "Discount" Stations. The discount stations get a reduced price on gas because they may be buying fuel that is nearly 30 days old already. You may be getting fuel that's nearly stale right from the pump when buying from a discount station. Purchase your fuel from the well-known stations such as Shell, BP, Sonoco, Phillips 66 etc.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our lawn mower business are due to this same issue. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carburetor.

The carburetor must be removed from the engine. Clean all parts with carburetor cleaner and blow out all the small holes and passageways with compressed air. Remove all of the non-metallic parts since the carburetor cleaner will cause them to be disfigured decompose and plug the carburetor as time goes on.

Wash the carburetor cleaner off of the metal parts by washing them in warm, soapy water then rinsing with clean water. Dry them by blowing it off with compressed air. Make sure that all the passageways are blown dry before reassembling.

Reassemble using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit.

Do not try to do reassemble without using a complete carburetor kit! You will just end up having to do the job again.

Always clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carburetor too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carburetor. Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carburetor repair kit.

If you do the work yourself, take pictures or at least make a drawing of where all the linkages, gaskets, and component parts go. Correct reassembly is critical.

If the carburetor still doesn't work correctly, you may have to take it to someone who has an "Ultra-sonic" cleaning machine. This machine uses carb cleaner and ultrasonic vibrations to get the very small passageways clean when traditional methods fail.

Here is where you can get an inexpensive "Ultrasonic Cleaning Machine"

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=ultrasonic+cleaner

If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop.

Here is a Carburetor rebuild process.

First make sure that you have the correct complete carburetor repair kit.

Now take special care when you take the carburetor apart..To make sure that you watch and remember exactly how the gaskets come off.

Remove the float pin. It just pushes out and remove the float carefully, so you can see how the float needle is attached...(Some of them have a small wire spring holding it to the float. You will have to reinstall this spring when you reassemble the carburetor. Remove the float needle

Remove the float valve seat. Look around the carburetor and see if it has a small idle adjustment needle. Remove this needle if it has one. You are now done disassembling the carb. Do not take anything else out of the carb.

Get a good carburetor cleaner, preferably with a small hose you can attach to the nozzle of the can. Spray the carb cleaner all over the outside of the carburetor. This will loosen the dirt on the outside while you clean the inside. Now spray the cleaner through every hole and nook and cranny you can find on the inside of the carb.

When you are finished with the spray, blow all of the passageway clean with compressed air from an air compressor. Also blow all of the dirt from the outside of the carburetor.

Next. Take the entire carburetor to the kitchen sink. Ok, maybe it would be better to get a big bowl, so you don't make your wife mad and wash the entire carburetor with hot soapy water. This is to make sure that all of the carburetor cleaner is completely washed from the carb...(If it is not, you will deform the new gaskets, even if it is dry.) Now rinse in clear water and then blow the carb dry with the compressed air again.

Reassemble the carb using the identical parts out of the carb kit as you took out. Install the float seat, then install the float needle and the float in the same position that you took them out. Check the float level after it is installed. Making sure that when the carb is upside down with the float in the up position. The float should be nearly level with the body of the carburetor. Now reinstall the bowl gaskets the same way you took them off. Then install the bowl nut with the small gasket under it. Reinstall the small idle needle if it had one.

There, you are done.

Install the carburetor on the engine and you should be ready to go.

Gas can NEVER be used or left in a unit for more than 30 day.

If you do not know how to clean and rebuild the carburetor, even using the information that I provided, you should have a good mower repair shop do the job for you. Good luck.