Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I rebuilt a 10 hp tecumseh carburetor, but when I adjust the

Customer Question

I rebuilt a 10 hp tecumseh carburetor, but when I adjust the float to the proper setting gas overflows out of the carb.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/tecumseh_carb_632107.asp

curtis b :

Was your needle valve all metal? If it was, did you replace the rubber seat in the housing that it seals on? Was the needle valve same length as old one?

Customer:

Yes the needle is made of metal and exactly like the old one. And I also replaced the rubber seat, only I did't have the the tool they use to set the float and pull out seals. I used a drill bit the same size to press the rubber seat down and it looked fine. I also used a dill bit to set the float.

curtis b :

In that case , I would just adjust the float by sight and adjust it so it cuts off the fuel flow sooner.

Customer:

I did that but it doesn't stay running. When I had it set the other way it ran just fine , so to stop the gas from over flowing I installed a shut off valve. But their is still something wrong. What do you think

curtis b :

It has to be the needle valve and seat. The seat can be damaged and it is so small you can't see the problem. Or the needle can be scratched. The newer needles with the seat made on the end work so much better.

Customer:

I was able to find the old needle and it was a little longer, just by maybe a 32hd of an inch. I made the switch readjusted the float and set the adjusting screws and it fired right up, and so far I don't see it overflowing. You really had to put the needles side by side to see the difference. Thanks curtis. Grant.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!