James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

my john deere LX173 lawn tractor is not getting fuel. The

Customer Question

my john deere LX173 lawn tractor is not getting fuel. The gas tank is full, the filter has been changed, I can suck gas fron tank to filter, fuses have been checkede. Does this model have a fuel tank
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

Customer:

Did youger my info on my john deere lx173

James W :

All I have is what you wrote in the question.. Did you send more..

James W :

sorry for the delay.. I am multi tasking.. Busy saturday.. Today..

James W :

My computer did not DING to tell me you had arrived in chat.. Sorry..

Customer:

no I want to know why my john deere lx173 won't get gas from the tank to the filter

James W :

Is there gas in the carburetor bowl?

James W :

Or you are saying it does not EVER get that far.

Customer:

no. I used starting fluid and it tried to start but no fuel

James W :

I heard you, but

James W :

can you SEE the filter? Can you see gas In the filter?

James W :

Better test..

James W :

If you take the gas line off of the carburetor, and hold it near the ground (pan underneath), can you drain any gas out of the tank??

Customer:

but what? gas is not getting from the fuel tank to the fuel filter. I have check the line and can suck gas up to the fuek filter. Is there a fuel pump i don't know about that could be bad?

James W :

Is the tank on the LX173 made your year have the tank seat, or is the tank under the hood?

Customer:

in back under the seat

James W :

Then there is a fuel pump ON the engine.. Always

James W :

it is run by negative crankcase pressure

James W :

you will find it located between the fuel filter and the carburetor

James W :

ALSO, before you do anything, check the gas tank

Customer:

Where is it located? what is the part number? Is there a way I can find out if it is working?

James W :

NO, not to see if it is empty, although that would be good, but to see if there is anything inside the tank that is clogging the in tank screen filter..

James W :

Often there is Something like grass, paper, the inside of the fuel cap, peanut butter and jelley sandwiches, legos, etc, in the tank.. Us a small flash light and look

James W :

OK, I have never found the sandwich, but I have found everything else including plastic bags

Customer:

I have checked the tank. It is full and I can get gas from the tank , thru the line to the fuel filter

James W :

If ou disconect the fuel filter, will the fuel flow Freely toward a can on the ground??

Customer:

yes

James W :

Also, You may check the GAS CAP to see if it is venting correclty..... Often it does not

James W :

Good

James W :

IDo you have the model numbers, type numbers, and serial numbers of the engine?

Customer:

I can try that. Is there a way to see if the fuel pump is working?

James W :

CV15S-41521 May be the correct numbers from my scribbles

James W :

that would be a 15HP Kohler engine with a verticle shaft

Customer:

Is there a way to see if it is a faulty fuel pump? Is the venting done on the cap itself? could it be a vapor lock?

James W :

here is a complete parts breakdown of that engine

James W :

It could be, but if you take the gas cap off, then you can test the cap to see how long it runs

James W :

does it every run longer than 3 sec

Customer:

not at this point

James W :

And, I think I asked if there was gas in the carburetor bowl, but did you give me an answer?

James W :

ops, maybe I did not ask

Customer:

No gas in the carburator bowl

James W :

OK..

James W :

Thanks

James W :

I may have to reboot my browser, after 12 hours, My system is on snail speed

James W :

sorry for that

Customer:

what do I have to do to continue?

James W :

just what I need, no arwork for your model and type engine on the fuel system

James W :

stay put

James W :

best answer

Customer:

I'll stay put

James W :

I am going to send you a complete service manual to look at to keep you busy..

James W :

You shall find it Very useful

Customer:

thanks. I'm going to check the gas cap be right back

James W :

Also below is the owners manual

James W :

brb after my reboot

James W :

back .. I hope this is better

James W :

looks like it

Customer:

I tried to start without the fuel cap on no luck. I tried a squirt of starting fluid it tried to start but would not keep running

James W :

briggs 808656 fuel pump..

James W :

If there is No gas in the bowl of the carburetor, it can not ever run

James W :

I know yours is a kohler engine

Customer:

Any way to check it or should I just get a new one?

James W :

No real way, and I am not 100% sure I am right yet.

James W :

have you been able to spot the fuel pump??

James W :

If you find the carburetor, then the fuel line will lead to the fuel pump

Customer:

I forgot to look when I was outside

James W :

then there will be a fuel line leading out of the fuel pump leading to the fuel filter

James W :

when you look, I need you to see if there are aTHREE hoses conected to the fuel pump

James W :

two are fuel lines (in and out)

Customer:

I know where it is

James W :

one is a vaccume tube

James W :

either goes to the breather or the engine bloc

Customer:

I will check be right back

James W :

if Your pump is made this way then YES, you just go by the pump

James W :

if the pump is mechanical, you by gaskets, and rebuild the old one

James W :

If there is nto fuel pump at all, you do a total rebuild of the carburetor

James W :

Your model and type combination is the One out of 100 that Kohler has supplied Zero photos for.. I can not tell you why.. I can see all the others. but there are a couple types

James W :

OK, maybe 110 types

James W :

but only about 5 types of fuel systems on this cv15 engine

Customer:

It seems to have just an in line rubber hose and a metal out to carb

James W :

But, there is a pump?

Customer:

yes

James W :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

James W :

Customer:

No it is rectangular ,long side facing up and down,

James W :

OK, in any case, we have determined that you have a fuel pump

James W :

You need to get the exact model numbers off your engine and take them with you

James W :

OH, yes there is a way to test the pump on this type, I forgot to day as he interrupts himself mid sentence

James W :

Take the fuel line off of the carburetor whcih leads to the fuel pump

James W :

then turn the key as if to start

James W :

if no fuel flows out of the pump while the engine is spinning, then the pump is bad

James W :

in this case, I would replace it

James W :

if there is a good amount of fuel that flows out of the hose when you crank the engine, then the pump is good and the carb needs rebuilt

Customer:

I can't tell for sure. which fuel pump it is. I will try your check and then i will wait until Monday and call John Deere parts/service. Thank you very much for your time. Accept payment

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years