Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

My Generac 13Kw generator keeps blowing fuses - what couldbe

My Generac 13Kw generator keeps blowing fuses - what couldbe causing this?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

When does the fuse blow - while it is just sitting, while it is cranking, or after it has been running a while?

Does it blow the fuse every time, or just sometimes?

Any information you can provide will be helpful.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
model # XXXXX
Serial #(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I noticed over a year ago that the generator was not doing it's weekly maintenance cycle, so I can olny assume that it would blow when trying to crank up. It doesnot do it every time, but seems to be doing it more often. we had an electrical outage earlier this month for almost 48 hours & it ran fine the whole time. After that we did the 100 hour maintenance. it has cycled on weekly since then with no problems. Earlier this week, we lost power for a very short period (less than 5 min), the generator went on when we lost power. This morning we lost power and the generator did not go on. I went out & changed the fuse & it started right up, then ran for about an hour & stopped. I waited for about 30 minutes, changed the fuse & t started right up, ran for about 3 hours then stopped. I let it sit for about 30 minutes, changed the fuse & it would not start. The overspeed/no RPM sense light was flashing. We waited until the power came back on , then my son removed the fuse, put it back in, and manually started the generator & let it run for a couple of minute, then turned it off & checked the oil level, which was a little low. He added some more oil till it registered full, set it up for the maintenance cycle, and it ran fine for the 15 minute period.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Wow, I am not going to lie - we may very well not be able to find the problem in this type of forum - this may very well be a hands-on only situation.

Intermittent electrical problems are the worst to find - you have no choice but to wait until it acts up to be able to find the problem.

But I can point you to a known issue with this set - loose wiring.

Carefully check the wires at the back of the fuse, at the control board, and at the starter solenoid to make sure that all wires are firmly secured.

A loose wire at any of these locations will easily blow the fuse.

Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators