Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  auto-diesel graduate. small engine and John deere and silver certified in stihl.
34138167

The drive belt is slipping on my john deere l120 lawn trac

Customer Question

The drive belt is slipping on my john deere l120 lawn tractor
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help

MP38/MP38677________UN13SEP06.gif
Full Size Image
.

curtis b :

Is the # XXXXX spring holding good pressure on the belt? Or is the belt not under tension? When you let off the clutch, the belt should be tight. Just check it with unit off and the clutch out. You should not be able to turn belt on any of the pulleys. Maybe a new belt and spring are in order. Let em know. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-fs228zj4- :

I just bought a new #10 spring and the belt looks as good as new, you can still read the part number off the belt I haven't put it back together yet. I also just bought a new mower belt, so could I compare the 2 to check for ware?

curtis b :

The idler with the spring has to be tight against the belt. could the linkage be keeping it from going all the way?

JACUSTOMER-fs228zj4- :

I just put everything together and it still won't go up hills. I lubricated all pivot points and all pulleys are free turning. I'm thinking it is now the transmission.

curtis b :

I will opt out and open question back up. Please don't respond to me as it will lock your question. Maybe someone can help with transmission. Have a good day. Sorry.

Expert:  Rex L. replied 5 years ago.

Make sure your tow lever is completely releasing. work it back and forth to make sure it is engaging. If u are sure the belt is not slipping and the tow lever is working properly then i would say your trans mission is getting weak. There is a screen but it requires transmission be tore down to check it.