Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

Hello! I have a McCulloch trimmer with a 32cc gas powerhead

Hello! I have a McCulloch trimmer with a 32cc gas powerhead - 3303AX. I can get it started, but it will not stay running. I suspect a problem with the fuel lines. My teenage son had been using it and told me about the problem, so I don't know whether he made any "adjustments" before telling me. When I examined it, I found that the tube from the primer to the fuel tank was disconnected. I reconnected it and attempted to prime the engine. It did not seem to be pumping any fuel unless I turned the trimmer so that the fuel covered the point where the fuel lines enter the tank. I was then able to start the engine, but it only stays running for a short time. I think it was only running on the primer charge and was not drawing any additional fuel. I cannot see any tubes that extend down into the fuel itself. The two lines from the carb and primer seem to stop at the grommet that attaches them to the tank. Should there be more tubing?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello.the main fuel line from the bottom of the carb extends almost to the far side of the tank and has a fuel filter on it.The nipple on the carb near the adjustment screws goes to the shorter nipple on the primer.The tank return line goes from the longer primer nipple into the fuel tank about an inch or so.Cut fuel lines on an angle to push into the tank and cut the main line squarely before installing the fuel filter.

Vince O. :

Fuel line can be purchased from www.searspartsdirect.com. Part number isNNN-NN-NNNNand costs about

Vince O. :

5.00

Vince O. :

Full Size Image

Vince O. :

I know your setup is a little different but it shows the primer.

Customer:

Hi. This description doesn't exactly match what I'm seeing. The lines to and from the primer seem to be the same (although the line from the primer to the tank is not long enough to extend an inch; it is just barely long enough to extend through the grommet. That is the one that I found disconnected.) The other line from the carb also goes through the same grommet, but also doesn't seem to extend into the tank. In other words, I don't see a way for the fuel to get to the carb unless the trimmer is on its side and the level of fuel covers the grommet. Shouldn't one of the lines extend below the fuel level? Or is there another line from the tank that is not obvious?

Vince O. :

The fuel lines have rotted and fell apart.that is all that's left and I'll bet if touched they crumble too.

Vince O. :

Check the grommet too,it may be cracked or swelled beyond use.

Vince O. :

Does your trimmer look similar to this? trimmers

Customer:

Actually, it looks exactly like this: http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/769-00942_SM_McCulloch_32cc_trimmer.pdf

Customer:

I had found a similar PDF, but it was damaged and the page that showed the fuel lines did not display. This one works.

Customer:

This seems to the the pertinent section:

Customer:

Sorry, it wouldn't let me copy the section. It is 5.9 and states that the grommet can be easily pried out for access to the fuel filter. I do not see a fuel filter. Perhaps my son removed it. Anyway, I think that answers my question; the line that goes through the grommet must extend below the fuel level and it should have the filter attached to the end. Dp you agree?

Vince O. :

Both lines go through the grommet.The main fuel line that has a fuel filter and sits near the far end inside the tank and the primer return line that sits about an inch inside the tank grommet.

Customer:

OK, I think that answers my questions. Thank you!

Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers