Deere Dr
Deere Dr, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  John Deere service mgr for 18 yrs. Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, expert level for all
24790541

Hi, I have an es6500 honda generator. it wont start because

Customer Question

Hi, I have an es6500 honda generator. it wont start because no power to the fuel cutoff. If i unplug the fuel cutoff and jump 12 volts to it the generator runs fine and produes proper power 120 and 240. I have traced all wires down and I have a wire diagram. Ihave a suspicion there is a fault with the diagram. ANy suggestions on why no power. I have the early type, large generator head. Im thinking the doide at the generator head might be faulty. it checks backward from the troubleshoot manual.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What is the serial number of your genset?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Very early first series, (NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I got sent on a road trip, and am going to have to opt out of this question

I am going to send it to another expert.

Please do not reply to me, or it will lock the question to me, and the other expert will be unable to respond.

Expert:  timoto replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Hank sent me a message that you needed help with this. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Have you checked for ac voltage in to the diode bridge from the sub windings of the stator brown wires with the engine running? If there is ac voltage into the diode assembly check for dc voltage on the output wires. If there is dc voltage out then check for a break in the wires between the diode bridge and the fuel shut off solenoid.

Reply back if you need more help with this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is 15v AC coming from the sub winding going into the diode assembly, and there is 15v DC coming off the diode assembly. Are these voltages correct? No voltage at the fuel cutoff connector. Now checking for the break in the wire.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Looking at the Wiring diagram, it appears the fan should also be running. i dont see a switch for the fan just direct current from the same diode assembly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fan does run when engine is running. Therefore I have power in the diode circuit. With the engine running I have 22v DC at the fuel cutoff connector G/W wire. However there is no ground at the green wire. I only get ground at the green wire when the key is in the off position. Also, there is no voltage at the G/W wire during engine cranking only when the engine is running. I'm wondering how does the fuel solenoid get power to open if there is no voltage during cranking.
Expert:  timoto replied 3 years ago.
I have been looking thru all of the reference material that I can find on that unit and nowhere can I find a break out of the circuit for the fuel cut solenoid and how to test it. I am going to opt out of the question for now in case another expert has more information on that circuit for you. I will continue to try to find any additional information for you and will reply if I find anything that may be of help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I'M waiting for an expert to give me the next step based on what I've said so far.
Expert:  Deere Dr replied 3 years ago.
Deere850. Deere Dr here.
We rarely work on the generator side of this unit but work on the engine side regularly.

This may sound silly but know yet has the quetion so I will.

Have you checked the oil. 50% of the Honda generators that come into my shop for won't start have a fuel problem.

The other 50% have issues with the low oil circuitry.

Not a wiz per say on this unit but it's a thought.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
still not answering my last question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes your question is silly, still looking for a professional answer
Expert:  Deere Dr replied 3 years ago.
Not a silly question. You never once said you checked the oil.

If this engine is only 6oz low on oil it will not start and have every sympton you speak of.

I work on 100 Honda generators a year and 1/2 have your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Deere, the oil is full. This response does not follow based on what I have replied to Timoto. I have power to the fuel cutoff circuit when the engine is running (if I jump the fuel cutoff with 12 volts to get it started) however, during cranking I have no voltage to the fuel cutoff switch. Therefore it wont start unless i jump the fuel circuit. It does not follow logic that the oil pressure switch is the culprit. It is if you are saying that the oil switch is preventing the fuel switch from getting 12 volts during cranking only but once it is running then the oil switch allows the 12 volts through. Please opt out so I can get this generator fixed. I think you are guessing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I have no voltage to the fuel cutoff switch during cranking as tested with a voltmeter. If i jump the switch with 12 volts to open the valve then the generator starts. with the engine running I can measure 12 volts at the connector to the fuel cutoff switch. what is causing this. its not low oil. Im thinking a diode is not right but they test ok.