Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I have replaced the clip on a Briggs starter drive. V Twin

I have replaced the clip on a Briggs starter drive. V Twin in JD L120 Mower. How do you make it stay on? There's no groove in the end of the shaft to hold it and I'm afraid that when I reinstall the starter the drive will just shoot up and I'll lose the clip and have to get another one

Vince O. :

Hello,what is the engine model?

Customer:

Model 441677

Customer:

Type 0121E1

Customer:

Model 441677 Type 0131E1 Code 070417YG Snap Ring # XXXXX

Vince O. :

The "c" clips are a pain.Briggs has a special tool that makes removal and installation easier.Here's the info, it might help you . starter clip

Customer:

Well, I downloaded the PDF and took a look at it. Am I to understand that the clip does not go at the end of the shaft but rather inside the retainer. I used a deep socket and tapped the clip down onto the shaft. And I to believe I need the special Briggs tool to engage the clip farther down the shaft inside the retainer?

Customer:

If I can't get the clip to hold my plan is to weld a dab on the end of the starter shaft so the clip and ring gear can't pop off, or else to cut an indentation around the shaft to give the clip something to grab onto. Sorry what I wrote above somehow sent before I proofread it.

Customer:

Time to go to bed here in Vermont. I'll bookmark this page and continue discussion in morning.

Customer:

We went the route of dabbing a weld on the top of the shaft and it worked fine - when starting the little plastic piece pushes up the small gear, engages the flywheel, and off we go. Of course, if this ever breaks we're probably looking at a whole new starter.

Customer:

I 'm accepting this because of the PDF you sent, even though you didn't really offer a way to repair except to get the Briggs tool.