Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Hobart welder with a Onan performance 16 engine with

Customer Question

I have a Hobart welder with a Onan performance 16 engine with 64 hours on it. I am having difficulty getting gas in the carb. I took the gas line off the carb and there I am getting gas. I took the top of the carb and took the float off and cranked it but have no gas going into the carb. There is no filter at the carb and now I am stumped, can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! when you removed the float, did you remove the needle valve that shuts off the fuel? That is what the float pushes against. Remove the needle valve, it could be stuck, or have trash plugging up the inlet hole.

JACUSTOMER-zfdnz7xq- :

yes I did remove the needle. Even without needle still no gas. Thanks curtis, is there anything else you can think of?

curtis b :

Is the port plugged up? Remove the line coming in and the needle and see why gas isn't entering. Has to be something in there!

JACUSTOMER-zfdnz7xq- :

I stuck a thin wire thru the port and it went in about an inch and a half. I wiggled it around and it didn't seem plugged, also stuck the wire thru the hole where the needle goes and it went in 3/4 of an inch. Did not seem plugged but I know that must be where it is plugged. Can I blow air from the hole where the needle is backwards out the port because that area is non reremovable? Thanks

curtis b :

Can you blow through port both ways? If so, it is open. So you have gas pumping to the carburetor?

JACUSTOMER-zfdnz7xq- :

I have not tried blowing in either direction yet, that will be my next move. Just was trying to avoid taking the carb completely off.

curtis b :

ok.