Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

Have a john deere 145 law tractor and the deck drive belt burns

Customer Question

Have a john deere 145 law tractor and the deck drive belt burns up within a few hours. Have replaced the clutch and according to our deere parts man the home depot L145 clutch and the actual deere 145 clutch are the same part number. Well I hate to say that they are not the same clutch and I cannot find one like the one on my 145. What would you suggest?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 3 years ago.

Ranwell1 :

hi

Ranwell1 :

Usually the problem with the belts burning up are NOT in the clutch.

Ranwell1 :

Usually the problem is in the idler pulley bearings or the bearings in the mower decl spindle assemblies.

Ranwell1 :

If these bearings are not in perfect shape, the will burn the belts.

Ranwell1 :

With the belt OFF.... Spin each of the idler pulleys and listen for NOISE.... If you hear ANY noise AT ALL, then the idler pulley is bad and must be replaced.

Ranwell1 :

The same goes with the mower deck spindle bearings. Spin the blades by hand and listen ...if you hear any noise, then the bearings are bad and needs to be replaced.

Ranwell1 :

Another thing that will cause problems is if you are not usind an ORIGINAL JOHN DEERE belt.

Ranwell1 :

These belts are made specifially for this use and any other belt will not have the same specifications and will cause problems.

Ranwell1 :

If you cannot find the problem yourself, I would suggest that you take the unit to a GOOD John Deere Repair shop and have them do the repairs for you. It is easy to spend a lot of money on parts suchas clutches and more... that do not need to be replaced.

Ranwell1 :

I hope this helps.

Ranwell1 :

Good luck.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks